Sunk the 1950 bowrider on the trailer!! i'm an idiot!

mrrod2001

Cadet
Howdy,
1988 Bayliner Capri 1950 bow-rider 3.0liter cobra outdrive
Title says it for some stupid reason i put the plug back in the boat after a day at the lake thinking it wouldn't rain here in Calif. After a big rain my cover leaked and i had 2-4 inches of water above the floor. About 1/2 way up the engine.
After i drained it i changed the oil and pumped out 4 1/2 GALLONS of oily water. Left the plug, oil filter and cap of for a day to try and dry out then filled with oil and added a little marvel mystery oil. Let sit for a couple months in hot weather and found the starter was bad (still filled with water) well now it runs again took to lake for 30-60 minutes and will change oil again. will do this a few times. Water covered the starter, 1/2 alternator(but its still OK for now) i don't think it got up to the alternator and defiantly not to the solenoids.
Any one have any other suggestions. Have other questions for other posts later.
Thanks for all help.

southkogs

Staff member
How long did the water sit in there? If you're not gettin' much dripping out the back you may have dodged a bullet.

Any signs of water in your fuel?

mrrod2001

Cadet
Water was there a few days..a week tops. Drained all fuel and put in new before i tried any testing. Not getting much dripping out the back of where? engine-top or bottom? Transom?
Also the fuel gauge quit working and the trim motor only works if after i tap on it with a hammer, But it did that once in a while before.
Thanks for any advice.

southkogs

Staff member
Sounds like the trim motor mighta' rusted up a bit inside ... or maybe got hurried along.

I was asking about dripping out of the drain hole in the transom.

A week is creepy to be sure ... and it can do some damage ... but more than likely it's not gonna' kill ya'. If you're not showing signs of water in your oil, I think I'd just run it and keep an eye on it.