1987 Bayliner 2.3 liter OMC Cobra idle issues

JoeCagle

Cadet
Im having issues with my engine dying while in neutral. Im pretty sure I have the idle set correctly because sometimes it will sit in neutral without dying out and it idles pretty close to the 1k mark, just a little under. But this isnt very often and doesnt last very long. My main issue is for the most part I have to start the boat and rev it then toss it in a gear. Or when coming up to a stop and I place it in neutral is doesnt stay running. Ever so often if I run it hard then stop it does little better but not like I want it to. Gets kind of embarrassing unloading on the ramp and reving it up and praying when I change gears it will stay running.

Im considering rebuilding the carb to see if this helps but Im looking for ideas here.

Joe
1987 Bayliner 2.3 liter OMC Cobra

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Have you done all the other tune up things? Points, plugs, wires, dwell, timing...

Checked compression?

JoeCagle

Cadet
Points and plugs yes. Haven't changed the wires. I can't find info on the timing. And dwell? I'm still a little new at my own repairs.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Dwell 36
Timing 10 @ 1000 RPM
That idle needs to be at 600-650 for that cobra to shift safely. I have mine at 550 shifts with a single "clunk". Carb rebuild will do wonders also easy to do and cheep. Do all the basics like plugs, wires cap and rotor and carb set timing set idle and then let us know.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That idle needs to be at 600-650 for that cobra to shift safely.
You may have noticed that I never said anything about what RPM it needs to idle at. That's just what the timing spec says.

JoeCagle

Cadet
Yes, I just found my timing and idle info in my manual. Going to change the plugs and wires tomorrow. I don't really have access to boat shop since they all close on the weekends so I tend to get parts from auto store for plugs and wires.
I've been looking for a carb rebuild kit but can't seem to find one.
I've never done timing before but I've watched a few videos and seem to get the idea but until I get it to idle I don't think I can adjust that just yet.
The idle is set little high right now, after doing the plugs and wires I hope I can get it to idle lower and get me thru the weekend without any embarrassing issues.

Last edited:

JoeCagle

Cadet
That idle needs to be at 600-650 for that cobra to shift safely. I have mine at 550 shifts with a single "clunk". Carb rebuild will do wonders also easy to do and cheep. Do all the basics like plugs, wires cap and rotor and carb set timing set idle and then let us know.

Where did you find the carb rebuild kit?

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
I did understand. I hope what I typed did not offend? I was concerned that joecagle may not know that after timing is set that the idle must be readjusted lower to 650 or his drive will take a beating. Only trying to help. Sorry if i confused the situation.

JoeCagle

Cadet
Changed the plugs, wasn't able to find the wires anywhere. But it made a huge difference. After my trip this weekend I'm going to look for the carb rebuild kit. It's idling great now, let see if it makes a fool of me when I get to the lake lol. Seems to happen here and there, run ok at home and change its mind when I get on the ramp.
https://youtu.be/yIdbggw6c-I

Last edited:

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Changed the plugs, wasn't able to find the wires anywhere. But it made a huge difference. After my trip this weekend I'm going to look for the carb rebuild kit. It's idling great now, let see if it makes a fool of me when I get to the lake lol. Seems to happen here and there, run ok at home and change its mind when I get on the ramp.
https://youtu.be/yIdbggw6c-I

Hey joecagle. If your tach is reading right then ur idle is too high. Will it come down at all if u back off the idle screw? Sounds ok. Just idling too high