1988 omc cobra help info

bayliner5.7omc

Recruit
I have a couple questions first off I have a 1988 bayliner with 5.7 omc cobra. I believe it needs a transom seal and a cam in the motor. But my question is how hard is it to put in a transom seal ? And I have a 383 stroker would it be to much for my out drive ? And could I reroute the exhaust out the side instead of threw the foot? Thanks for the help

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are leaking water, more likely it is a rotten transom and not a seal.

I would not hook that engine up to a Cobra drive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your transom is the back end of your boat.

I take it you are getting water leaking around the transom assembly on your drive right?

Number of ways to check for a rotten transom. Knock on the transom with a rubber malet and see what it sounds like in various places. Jump on the sterndrive and see how much the transom flexes. Drill test holes on the inside to see if you have rotten wood.

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did she drill test the transom or how was it diagnosed as good? A mallet test isn't very precise. A bayliner of that age is unlikely to have a good transom if it hasn't been rebuilt or hasn't been in the water much. Are there cracks in the stern below the gimbal (outside)? It could also be the drain plug fittings that leak. Remove the screws that hold the drain plug assembly in place and check the wood for rot. If it's in good shape, reinstall with a good sealant.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
To put in a transom seal, you pull the engine and pull the transom assembly.

Bondo

Staff member
Transom was good had a buddy check it out said it seems to b good what else is there to check?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... To replace the transom seal, you'll be pullin' the drive, the motor, 'n the transom assembly,....

You'll have a clear view of any rot in the transom at that point,....