OMC Sterndrive 400 981871 tilt motor removal

eric9981

Recruit
Hi I've read a few threads on here and ended up getting the bolts out of the flange on the tilt motor according to my seloc manual. I can not get the motor to budge. I even loosened the bolts on top of the motor and it still won't budge. I need to remove the motor because the worm gear shaft broke and part of it is still in the house. Any thoughts or anything I am missing? Appreciate the help.

Thanks
Eric

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

I think on a 400, there are the two bolts on the outside flange, and then there is a third that runs all the way through the tilt motor ... lower right side of the housing I think. That holds the entire motor together too, so it should want to come apart on you when you remove it.

eric9981

Recruit
Thanks I'll take another look. I saw two on the flange and two that seem to run all the way through. When I take those off the motor itself wants to come apart but wont.

southkogs

Staff member
There might be two running through it besides the flange - and yes, the motor will want to come apart. You can gently pry the flange away from the transom ... the connection is a slotted type right there at the face of the motor.

eric9981

Recruit
Thanks, I couldn't get anything in there to pry it out, but since the worm gear shaft was broken and was still partially up in there I put a long screwdriver through at opening and gave it a tap with a mallet. It popped right out. I'll test the motor I figure worst case I need to spend the $60 on one but at least I can finish putting the worm gear assembly back together.

southkogs

Staff member
I had my motor rebuilt at the local auto parts shop. I had him rebuild the starter and tilt motor over the years. Less than half the cost of a new motor.

eric9981

Recruit
Thanks for that info, I'll check into getting it rebuilt if it doesnt work when I put it back in. My parts are finally in for the worm gear.