omc 800 shift cable stuck

seang

Cadet
800 series the outer shift cable is stuck in the intermediate housing ....a previous mechanic damaged the outer cable and covered the damage with a red silicone material ....the cable was rusty so needs to be replaced now anyway but I cant get the old one out been spraying silicone and penetrating oil in from the engine side for the past week but no luck any ideas ?
also looking for a place to buy a new cable without having to re mortgage the house

southkogs

Staff member
I've got no idea on those cables except one thing ... they're expensive! You can do a little hunting for a donor boat or call the salvage yards and see if you can get your cost down, but it's gonna' be a pricey cable either way.

southkogs

Staff member
Sometimes ... if you keep a watch on CL ... you find someone with a junker boat, with the drive you need, who doesn't know what they have (and when you do the honorable thing and tell 'em what they have, they don't really understand it either) and sell it cheap :) But it takes patience.

seang

Cadet
Sometimes ... if you keep a watch on CL ... you find someone with a junker boat, with the drive you need, who doesn't know what they have (and when you do the honorable thing and tell 'em what they have, they don't really understand it either) and sell it cheap :) But it takes patience.
I have seen some outdrives for sale cheaper than I can buy the cable but so far no cables with these outdrives no hurry got the boat free so no real investment at this point

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
The sad part is that a lot of those cables just get cut in the process of parting out a boat. People don't know or won't take the time to figure out how to disconnect them from the shift converter box....nor do they have any idea of the value of that cable.