Ran out of fuel and now big problem - SOLVED

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it is only at 10, but you said it pegged the gauge.
10 PSI will work, for short time, float valve damage will happen at faster rate. more PSI will overfill the float.
If you getting 3 psi, then I would go to any parts store and buy a fuel pump. MR Gasket 12S. Made for carbs. rated for 4-8 psi.
DO NOT RUN THESE PUMPS DRY. Get a pump bulb and install this before the pump, and pump fuel through the system before you turn on key.
This also helps with anti-siphon, and in future when doing filter replacement.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the help.

10 PSI is too high I guess. It was making fuel drip out of the primaries at idle making the engine run like crap. If I raised the RPM ATO 2K for a sec then return to idle it would run normal so I guess it just builds up too much fuel pressure in the carb at idle and 10 PSI.

I am going to follow your directions and just get anew pump and a bulb.

I was gonna use the same pump a Carter P4070 but will check out the mr gasket one too

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would get the MR Gasket, install it, Test it and get it working.
then after you prove this is the fix, then buy the $100 carter pump. and save the MR gasket pump in a bag, in a box, on the boat as a emergency backup.
Nothing ruins a day better then a broken boat.

LAC_STS

I would get the MR Gasket, install it, Test it and get it working.
then after you prove this is the fix, then buy the $100 carter pump. and save the MR gasket pump in a bag, in a box, on the boat as a emergency backup.
Nothing ruins a day better then a broken boat.

Sounds like a good idea. Unfortunatly I already ordered the carter one on Amazon for like $70 shipped. Will be here tom because of my Prime membership.

So if I install a bulb like you were suggesting I should install it in between the fuel water sep filter and the pump? I have an external fuel water sep filter attached to the side of the engine compartment beside and below the pump.

Since I have taken the entire fuel system apart I have learned there is no anti siphon valve or check valve. My system is just a pickup tube with a 1/4 turn ball valve then it goes to the water sep filter then to the pump then to the carb. Dunno if that matters or not. Does that make the pump be dry every time I go to start it after it sits for more than a day?

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put my bulb between tank and separator. Pushing fluid is easier than sucking.

user-name

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im 99% sure the fuel is good. I

I've filled my tank (Truck)3 0r 4 times In 35years with bad gas at good gas stations ones that Ive used many times. twice in the boat.

One Time I filled the tank at a shell right by work that ive used many times and only got 65miles I could watch the gauge go down , A full tank in that truck is nornally good for 300, next morning filled up at 76 d with good gas mileage back to normal.

Never
Ever
Worked

LAC_STS

Installed the new pump and the problem is fixed. So what was happening was I fried the pump by running it dry running out of fuel and it was only putting out 2.5 PSI.

So when I would throttle up it would run ok for a minute but then the bowels in the carb would dry up and it would surge then die.

But problem fixed. Thank you guys. This site always comes through for me. I appreciate it.

LAC_STS

Glad I could help. Did you install a bulb.?

Yes I did. I don't know if it's supposed to on an I/O but it never gets hard and there something about it I just don't like. So my idea is to take the bulb out and install a check valve so when I turn the boat off it doesn't let the fuel return to the tank therefore keeping fuel in the pump and lines.

Sound like a good or bad idea?

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can install a check valve, but why waste more money. The bulb has one built in.
Purpose of ball is to prime pump before applying power. No it will not get hard. You can feel when fuel is being pumped. But will saves pumps. Every time you open the lines. Like filter and separator changes. It is your boat.
I have a bulb and use it yearly. Saved my ass on the water last year, when my outboard, hose broke and sucked air into main engine.

Bondo

Staff member
So my idea is to take the bulb out and install a check valve so when I turn the boat off it doesn't let the fuel return to the tank therefore keeping fuel in the pump and lines.

Ayuh,.... If there's the required anti-siphon valve at the tank's outlet, the same thing occurs,... After all, it is a check-valve,...

LAC_STS

Ayuh,.... If there's the required anti-siphon valve at the tank's outlet, the same thing occurs,... After all, it is a check-valve,...

I took the entire fuel system apart besides taking the whole tank out of the boat. There is no anti siphon valve and no check valve. I even had the sender and pickup tube out of the tank and replaced the 1/4 turn ball valve that attaches to the pickup tube. It snapped off while trying to get the pickup tube off.

@ Skippy - The reason I dont seem to like the bulb is that it doesnt seem to do anything by pumping it. While I have my fuel gauge and tester hooked up with the clear tubing and all I pumped that bulb for 20 minutes and besides it doesnt get hard (I know now you said it wont) I never saw any fuel go into the clear lines on my gauge setup. It just seemed like the bulb was just sloshing gas and air back and forth. Maybe not but thats what it seemed like.

I wonder if my bulb has an anti siphon doesnt seem like it because with fuel pressure tester hooked up (clear hose too) and when I turn the engine off I could see all of the fuel empty back out of the lines.

I looked at a couple check valves at a place locally called surplus marine but they seemed so hard to blow through and yes I was blowing through the right end I understand one way it should seal and not let any fuel (air) through. Decided since the boat is running good now Id stop messing with it and have some fun with it before the big weekend next weekend.

4th of July, fireworks, plus we have the powerboat races here. I stay off the water then.

Bondo

Staff member
There is no anti siphon valve and no check valve. I even had the sender and pickup tube out of the tank and replaced the 1/4 turn ball valve that attaches to the pickup tube. It snapped off while trying to get the pickup tube off.

Ayuh,.... The ball-valve is at yer option,.... Ya should install an anti-siphon valve, it's function is to stop fuel flow, unless the fuel pump is suckin' on it,....
I looked at a couple check valves at a place locally called surplus marine but they seemed so hard to blow through and yes I was blowing through the right end I understand one way it should seal and not let any fuel (air) through.

That sounds like a proper functionin' anti-siphon valve,.....

Get one, 'n install it,....

LAC_STS

Do I install the anti siphon valve after the 1/4 turn ball valve?

As in pickup from the tank is connected to 1/4 turn ball valve which is connected to an anti siphon valve?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If ya wanta keep the ball valve, it has to go in that sequence,...