1992 Four Winns Horizon 190 OMC5.0L Need Trim Sender ID help et al..

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi

I'm very sorry but I do not have the engine model or serial number as the engine plate is no longer discernable.

What I do have are three pictures.

Starboard side, this appears to my untrained eye to be the trim sender.. it looks different from every one I've seen.. but is does have a cable going through the transom.. can anyone confirm that's it?

20150608_181712.jpg

Better yet... if I take it off, is there a chance in Heck I'll find a part number.. or ... *GASP* a replacement?

The other one is a bit more concern.. there appears to be a steel wire "string" for lack of a better term that has been sheered.. I do not know what this is, there is also this same steel cord on the interior side of the transom that's holding up some wires but is looped around the manual steering rod..(has not cause any problems)

Both of the wire photos are from the outside, port side of the outdrive looking down, and port side looking up..

20150608_181740.jpg Port side looking down 20150608_181759.jpg port side looking up X marking the obvious break..

Any idea what that could be for?.. It's screwed in.. gotta be for something?

Trim works fine and stays up if in the full up position. 1/2 way down and it sinks.. (reading other forum article to try and troubleshoot that) ..might be manual release valve.

Trim Gauge is PINNED to up all the time.

Thoughts?

-pants

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The sheared wire is a ground cable. That is the trim sensor in the first pic. Mines focked as well.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Riggles

Seems to be a somewhat simple device and I've found (I think) a replacement, does it make sense it would be 125 - 140 bucks? Eek

I contacted the previous owner and he indicated that the trim gauge was temperamental. I suspect a poor connection somewhere. I have a DMM and test light now so we'll see.

The broken ground has me a little concerned. That particular wire was just connected in a closed loop to the drive and the housing. I don't see it attached to a typical ground...should I be worried? I can replace that quite easily

-Pantz

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took the trim sender off.. I can get the guage to read full up.. or full down.. but nothing in between.. very irritating. I guess the unit itself is bad

Offrddrver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I just came across your post and thought I would try to help. (unless it is fixed already)

I have a 1992 Four Winns 190 Horizon with a FORD 5.0L motor.
My model number for the OMC cobra part of the boat is 502BPRAMK. This is a December built 1992 boat.
I note the December build as my boat has numerous 1993 parts, which in the past caused some troubleshooting issues until I called Four Winns and they helped.

Your OMC cobra model should be one of the following for 1992 with a 5.0L motor:
All of these models show the original OMC trim sender part # 984748. (this is what was on my boat)
The OMC # was later replaced by part # 3850470 (I believe this was the Volvo Penta part number when they owned OMC)

I replaced my trim sender unit with a Sierra part # 18-7634 (~$106.00 if I remember correctly.)

For me the part did not work 100%. I only get about 3/4 of the range reported on my trim gauge. So I set it up where full down shows full down on the trim gauge, and "Full UP" (the point when the rear unit doesn't touch the trim sender tab only shows ~3/4 up on the trim gauge.
In short, it gives me enough information.......just not original results.

I hope this helps.

Also, you can call FOUR WINNS and give them your VIN # and they should be able to tell you more about your boat. I called several years back, so check their web page for current contact information. WWW.FOURWINNS.COM

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Offrddrver (Off Road Driver)

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
HI Offrddrver,

I'm sorry I didnt see this post before but I can concur with your post 100%!!! (we really do have similar beasts)

I alos bought sierra part number 18-7634 and did the installation myself. Being a network engineer I have the right tool to string cable, so getting this through the transom was not too difficult for me, and a little bit of grease (right Bondo?) on the rubber grommet allowed it to slide in place quite nicely

To your point I get EXACTLY the same results after the trim is about 1/4 to 1/3 down the trim sender engages, and just as you sais this is the critical mark for me. I'm usually only adjusting the trim levels under the 1/2 mark anyway. And knowing the guage is UP tells me I'm safe to trailer load.

I will do the VIN check!! thank you. I'm compiling info as I go, just added prop and outdrive info to my collection list.

Thank you!

-Pantz

Offrddrver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pantz,

No need to be sorry about the reply, as I know we are all busy.
I replaced my trim sender while I was changing my gimbal bearing, so that made it easy for me.
Glad to hear you are done with the trim sender.

Not to get off subject, but do you have the Prestolite IBD distributor on your motor?
If so, have you ever had issues with it or have you replaced it with an aftermarket?
If yes, can you check out my post as I'm looking for advice. 1992 5.0L Ford RPM shudder and Trim RPM drop
It was suggested that I have a ground issue, but I've gone through my grounds and ignition POS+ from front to back of the boat.

Maybe we should start a 1992 OMC 5.0L Ford comparison post.
I like to have data.....as these beasts are only getting older.

Have a good one.

Offrddrver
(Off Road Driver)