1988 bayliner capri 1750 2.3 omc cobra water infiltration

acidfire

Recruit
I recently took my newly acquired boat out after spending a month completely rebuilding the floor interior etc. The engine ran great on muffs. Pulled kids on tube ran great. Stopped to load camping gear up and when I tried to restart it water came gushing out of carburetor. I pulled all spark plugs and cranked engine to blow out all water. Manually pumped gas into it and finally got it running again...hhw I am not sure as it was a massive water infiltration. The oil in the pan is clean. I got back to dock. Boat sat idling fine. Loaded up got home pulled valve cover off and as I crank engine it milky oil comes from overhead cam. Yet oil in pan is still clean.....any suggestions ?

acidfire

Recruit
I also noticed the timing had jumped guessing stretched belt. I reset timing ....on water and boat ran fine.

im sure your timing jumped because of water on top of the pistons ,water is a solid ,something has to give ,I would not run this motor any longer until you have it diagnosed .....water would be able to get into the cylinder by a cracked head or head gasket ,but if it is a lot of water ,im guessing with that system you might have water from a cracked manifold entering the motor being they are cooled by water running through it ,possibly the engine has a crack in the manifold as it sat over winter ....

acidfire

Recruit
I am planning to pull the plugs and fog the cylinders just to keep the moisture from seizing up the rings I will pull the manifold and check for cracks can I pressure test it? I have had the boat out a few times before without any problems just trying to figure out how the oil is not in the pan but in the valve cover.

I do have the same boat ,ive never drove it ,I think the major part of any of these boat battles is knowing the system and all the possibiltys of where the water can intrude before going any further .I thought about a pressure test for this ,I am wondering if you might have a friend with a leak down tester to fill each cylinder with air and possibly be able to isolate where the leak is coming from ,I would think a shop (engine rebuilder) might be able to magniflux your manifold if possible .