1983 OMC 400 Stinger 2.5L Overheating

wpref

Recruit
Hi
Looking for help. OMC was over heating so I changed the impeller and replaced it with entire kit. I also replaced the water shaft drive as well.
It still overheats over 200 going less then 5mph . Got a laser temp gun and found the water going into thermostat was 180. (I removed the thermostat waiting for another one to put in. I pull the hose going to thermostat and the flow from the lake water is not getting enough pressure. What can I do next?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Hi
Looking for help. OMC was over heating so I changed the impeller and replaced it with entire kit. I also replaced the water shaft drive as well.
It still overheats over 200 going less then 5mph . Got a laser temp gun and found the water going into thermostat was 180. (I removed the thermostat waiting for another one to put in. I pull the hose going to thermostat and the flow from the lake water is not getting enough pressure. What can I do next?

Thanks

:welcome: to iboats

If you have a power steering cooler inline between the pump and thermostat, look for debris and back flush. If there is nothing between the pump and the thermostat housing, check the hose connection to the drive for a restriction

southkogs

Staff member
What can I do next?
If you haven't already - grease your swivel bearing (red arrow in this photo is where the fittings are):

If that's not greased properly on a Stringer, exhaust gas can overheatcha'.

Welcome aboard.

wpref

Recruit
Great feedback.. This is awesome. Thank you so much. I will be checking your suggestions.