Squeal and belt broke 1992 5.0 Cobra OMC

mflood

Cadet
I have a Four Winns 190 H, with the 5.0 Cobra OMC. I recently purchased this boat. I know it was well taken care of but sat for a few years. When I test drove the boat I had no issues. I took the boat out this weekend. It started up great and sounded good on idle but but when I took off it began to squeal. The squealing sound like the belt to me and went away after driving for about 5 min. It ran good all day the next day I took the boat out and I smelt burnt rubber and checked the belt to the alternator broke. the belt had a date of 1996 on it so old but it seemed in good condition. No cracks, no melting or anything out of the ordinary other than just broke. The alternator pulley is not seized. There is some rust on the pulleys. Thr large double pulley which I belive is the water pump has a decent amount of surface rust. It was suggested to me to clean up the pulleys. Ive been doing some reading and I see maybe it could be the impellar or the alternator or just the rust. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

southkogs

Staff member
:welcome: mflood:

The belt breaking might have been good ole' fashioned wear and tear. Any reason to think otherwise?

Your impeller likely does need to be changed, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the belt.

mflood

Cadet
I was just concerned because the boat had a squeal when it was warming up and then broke a belt.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Clean the rust off the pulleys. Use a wire brush and sand paper. Get them as smooth as possible and then repaint the pulleys so they don't rust again.

mflood

Cadet
I'll def clean them up, repaint and replace belt thank you both.

Last edited:

mflood

Cadet
I cleaned them up and painted the pulleys seems to be working great. No more squeal either. Thank you everyone!

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mflood,

I think we may have the same boat (or very close) .. and a VERY similar situation.

I bought my 1992 Four Winns Horizon 190 from an owner who took great care of it. I just finished the interior too. My squeals a bit when it's warming up. My pulleys also are displaying surface rust, and the belts do have wear and tear.

Is there any special tensioning or special tools required to remove the pullies, or did you clean them up while attached? Take any pics?

I think I need to do the same thing. But I'm considering new aluminum ones..

Can you read the engine plate? namely the model number??

-Pantz

mflood

Cadet
I was able to remove 1 pulley i belive it was the water pump pulley. I used vinagar and a wire brush. It was tedious. Spray wire brush repeat until I got most of the rust off. Then I mixed baking soda and water and sprayed it on the pulleys to nutralize the vinagar. I then sprayed water on them to rinse. I was very carful to not get vinagar anywhere but the pulley. After all that was done I sanded to get some remaining rust off and painted them. I taped off and used card board to not get paint all over. It turned out good. Squeel gone running great. I'll take some pic tonight of what it looks like now.