Propeller question

zhirq

Recruit
So hope most had a better boating day than me.

Was on the way back from the ocean ...hit the inlet and my boat stalls...wont restart and as most know the inlet waters are sometimes more rough.
I couldnt get the anchor down quick enough and ended up beached (it was already a little choppy at 2-3 ft) I finally got loose with some help and towed back to my marina where i noticed my prop was trashed. I need a new one but since its for an 1988 vista 245 i have no idea which to get (Cobra drive)
engine is a 260 5.7L

I found an old post where someone that had a 87 245 vista with 260hp 5.7L using a quicksilver QA2184X
Would something like that work for my boat as well? I think it would as i cant see much changing from an 87 to an 88 of the same model boat and what i would assume to be same drive as well unless four winns in 87 decided to use merc instead of omc.

The only thing i cant find is im getting miss info here some are saying its 15 spline for my drive (paraha props using omc lookup ) and then the quicksilver one says 19.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
So hope most had a better boating day than me.

Was on the way back from the ocean ...hit the inlet and my boat stalls...wont restart and as most know the inlet waters are sometimes more rough.
I couldnt get the anchor down quick enough and ended up beached (it was already a little choppy at 2-3 ft) I finally got loose with some help and towed back to my marina where i noticed my prop was trashed. I need a new one but since its for an 1988 vista 245 i have no idea which to get (Cobra drive)
engine is a 260 5.7L

I found an old post where someone that had a 87 245 vista with 260hp 5.7L using a quicksilver QA2184X
Would something like that work for my boat as well? I think it would as i cant see much changing from an 87 to an 88 of the same model boat and what i would assume to be same drive as well unless four winns in 87 decided to use merc instead of omc.

The only thing i cant find is im getting miss info here some are saying its 15 spline for my drive (paraha props using omc lookup ) and then the quicksilver one says 19.

:welcome: to iboats

I would suggest taking your trashed prop to a prop shop and see what they would recommend. Many times even a mangled prop can be fixed if it is aluminum. on the other hand a good prop shop will be able to tell you what the prop was

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Count the splines on your lower unit or your prop hub. That will tell you 15 or 19. Watch your lower unit for an oil leak. In the 20 years I owned my 89 with a cobra out drive I hit bottom twice. Both times it caused the prop shaft seal to start leaking. It wasnt an obvious leak. I happened to have the lower unit in a down position and it dripped a small amount of fluid on the garage floor.