Shift problem with King Cobra

rpop7723

Recruit
I have read many posts about problems with the shifting of the OMC King Cobra. Model # is 744DPEJVB. Its a King with the cone clutch. My problem is that over the past 10 years that I have owned the boat, I've had every part in the outdrive replaced,and still it wont go in forward. I've always had reverse and after twice having it worked on, the mechanic (only one I could find who would even touch the thing),said he can do no more. I have new control box, all new cables, cone clutch,gear set. Anything and everything that might affect the shifting has been done as far as I can tell. I thought I would reach out to someone out there who might think of something that was missed. thanks

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome.
Take the cover off the rear of the drive.
Unhook the cable and linkage.
Remove the prop(safety first).
Then hook it to a hose.
Start it.
Then shift by hand.
If that works then there is a shifter, linkage, cable problem.
If that doesn't then the drive needs work?

rpop7723

Recruit
Thanks for responding. As far as I know, the shift cable linkage is on the port side of the drive and in order to get to it, the drive has to be pulled from boat. The mechanic who worked on it over the last winter said he has the cable adj to specs. The drive went into forward exactly once and then no forward. He just put in new cone clutch thinking it was worn out.

Last edited:

rpop7723

Recruit
Any thoughts on the gear lube? It seems some think it doesn't matter whats in the unit, some think its gotta be the synthetic stuff. Currently the Merc green gear lube is in there. The mechanic said it didn't matter.