electronic ignition

vipertech

Seaman
I am wanting to swap my points to a electronic ignition. hopefully someone can give me some info on what my best option is. My motor is a 1977 OMC 302 175hp.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have the exact year and engine , I have not converted yet , I am still debating sticking with points for simplicity.

but I did however save the part number when I was researching.

pertronix 91581- is a pertronix ignitor 2. and thats the one you will need . (assuming you have the prestolite clamp down dizzy cap like I do on my 302 )

Last edited:

vipertech

Seaman
I actually ordered one from hot spark today. Once I get it in I will update and let you know my opinion. Thanks for the replies

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I know you already bought it but I would just stick with the points. If you had a GM engine, I would switch to the Delco Voyager distributor.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I actually ordered one from hot spark today. Once I get it in I will update and let you know my opinion. Thanks for the replies

Please do. I like the idea of not having to change points yearly , but the thought of electronics failing when I am 100 miles away from a marina give me pause on upgrading.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Please do. I like the idea of not having to change points yearly , but the thought of electronics failing when I am 100 miles away from a marina give me pause on upgrading.

Simple solution. Put your old points and condenser in a ziplock bag and throw it in the glove box. A Pertronix II ignitor will be the best move you ever made with your boat. Just be sure that you bypass your ballast resistor when you install it. The Pertronix wants a full and constant 12 volts.

Last edited:

vipertech

Seaman
The "tune up" kit I bought came with new points and condenser so I planned on keeping them on board along with my old coil just in case. I was wondering if I could remove the ballast resistor with this set up?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...... I was wondering if I could remove the ballast resistor with this set up?.....

Unlike some, your OMC setup came with a seperate ballast resistor mounted on the intake manifold. Just remove the wires from it and combine them together. You can leave the resistor in place incase you need to re-employ it.

vipertech

Seaman
Unlike some, your OMC setup came with a seperate ballast resistor mounted on the intake manifold. Just remove the wires from it and combine them together. You can leave the resistor in place incase you need to re-employ it.
this is assuming my coil is in the correct ohm spec. right?

vipertech

Seaman
It arrived today and my first opinion is not so great. The wire leads seem a little on the cheap side but I won't judge a book by its cover. I'm going to pick up the boat this weekend and will give a update once installed.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
It arrived today and my first opinion is not so great. The wire leads seem a little on the cheap side but I won't judge a book by its cover. I'm going to pick up the boat this weekend and will give a update once installed.

Have faith, vipertech. It will be one of the best mods that you make. As for the coil, I am not an expert but you should have a coil that is not meant to work on reduced voltage, ie, the one that Pertronix sells to match the ignitor.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is very important that the coil is matched to the ignitor, with regards to the number of cylinders. At least that is how it is on the HotSpark module (HotSpark is another brand). Check also the voltage, when the alternator is charging. I've had a HotSpark module fail because of a wrong coil and an alternator that was slightly overcharging.

vipertech

Seaman
I know it's been a while but better late than never. Install wasn't too bad, had to modify the distributor a little to get it mounted but worth the time. I noticed much smoother start up's as well as better idling. Seemed to have gained a couple MPH and is alot smoother getting there. I personally think this was a great investment and will be doing it to my other boat.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I know it's been a while but better late than never. Install wasn't too bad, had to modify the distributor a little to get it mounted but worth the time. I noticed much smoother start up's as well as better idling. Seemed to have gained a couple MPH and is alot smoother getting there. I personally think this was a great investment and will be doing it to my other boat.

Yep, they are often all of that!