1993 fourwinns 5.0 OMC Loss of power/head gasket?

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SO lessons are being learned, and the wife is ready to freak out on the dang boat.

I have posted part of the issue in another thread, but I needed to start this one to make it relevant to the forum topic selection.

I have a 1993 fourwinns with an OMC outdrive and a ford 302 paperweight. I had this on the lake this year and it ran fine for a while. While boating around I noticed I had to throttle up and down a few time at points so that I could get on plane. Mostly only when I would slow down to cruise in a no wake zone, or after starting . While cruising after lunch I couldnt get to plane. The motor sounded fine, but just couldnt get speed like loss of power. I opened up the motor compartment and put the motor in Neutral for idle. In neutral I revved up and felt like it was right. I only revved a couple times. I put back into forward and pulled the blowback hose off of the flame arrestor. I notices the white looking oil in the tube, and felt steam coming from blow back tube. As soon as I took the actual flame arrestor off the boat regained power and we boated around for a while. I figuered it was moisture mixing in the carb from the steam. I Checked the oil dipstick and oil was clear and at the right level. We boated around for a while longer and stopped to fish a little . We started back up and cruised out of the cove. Very slowly heading out and somehow hit something in the water. I looked in the engine compartment but noticed no more water than normal. I throttled up but had the same issue as before. I told the wife to drive and to keep throttle all the way down while I manipulated the choke on the carb. I thought maybe it was just to closed off. I decided at that point that the carb was messed up. Then I noticed more water in the bilge. The auto float kicked in and bailed the water. I was looking for a crack and noticed the power steering fluid oil cooler had a leak. I attempted to push it together and it came apart in my hand. I pushed it back together and help it together and told the wife to head to the docks. I pulled the dipstick to check the oil again because at the time I pulled the hose off of the oil cooler and noticed the millky orangish looking oil. I thought this was the engine oil at the time. I pulled the dipstick and it was clear. The wife was driving but we couldnt get enough speed to get on plane. I was holding the Oil cooler together and talking to the wife and noticed the oil pressure was pegged out , but the tmp was still below 240. The oil cooler wasnt hot at all and I had it pushed together tight enough that there was only a small leak. I pulled the cap off of the oil and looked into it. I could see any oil, but noticed moisture . I pulled the dipstick again and this time the oil was not clear but more like pecan color. Also the oil was half way up the stick. We got to the docks and I trailered the boat. I put the boat in my garage and rebuilt the carb. I am now at a loss. I took the boat out to the yard on muffs and turned the key over. the first time it locked up for a second. then it cranks over, but slowly. I had never heard this before, but I can say that the battery wasnt acting right and I have a voltage leak somewhere so it could be due to low voltage. I cranked the boat to adjust the carb and ran for about 20 minutes. I checked oil and there for sure is water in it.

My question is what do any of you think? Could this be a head gasket? I would also say that I thought I knew how to winterize a boat until this problem. Now I know I didnt drain the oil cooler or the motor. My question is would you think that I cracked the block? The oil and oil pressure was fine for 4-5 hours. then issues happened. I know the oil cooler is due to winterizing. I have repaired this. I just dont know what to do with the water. I have read every thread on this issue and watched countless Youtube videos with cars and what little I can find on Marine Engines. I cant find one single thread with pics and a breakdown on changing the gasket. Save for one on Youtube. nothing about testing with pics. Everything just says block off hoses, but what hoses? Anyway Any ideas are appreciated.

southkogs

Staff member
Have you tested the compression on the cylinders? Also, have you drained the oil to see how bad it was?

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cant get the dang oil out. I have the drill pump with the hose attachment. It just spins until the battery dies. I cant see the pan plug. Even if I could how would I keep it from dumping into the bilge? Compression has not been checked. I have broken 2 spark plugs off so far, and stopped at that point. The exhaust risers are right in the way of the plugs. I just cnt get a good angle even with a swivel head. I got one of the plugs out all the way and turned it over to check for water. It had none. The plugs also look in great shape. Not fouled up or anything. If I were to a compression check it would have to be at each plug correct?

Edit: I tried priming the pump. I poured oil in the outlet and turned in reverse, I poured oil into the inlet hose. I opend the pump and poured directly into it. Just cant get it out. Also I put the batter on charge and the lock up start issue I thought might be there wasnt an issue.

I have a question though. Because I gave one plug out and there is no moisture then is there anything I can eliminate? also after I poured about 6 ozs of oil down the diptube and tried to turn over I pushed dipstic back in. I pulled it back out and it was clean. I the pushed in 12g awg black sheathed wire as far as I could. Came back up with clean oil. I ran to home depot and and purchased clear 1/4" tubing. I thought I could just push the tubing as far as it would go and suck it straight out. It didnt work but the tubing came back up clean. Now I only dumped 6oz in and most of that I pulled out into a bucket. I took the 12 awg wire and stuck in the oil cap in a small hole I could see. It did come back like chocolate milkish. I could only get about a 16th of an inch in though. Thats where the steam was coming from.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I don't know the later model OMCs very well, but to test the compression you do need to check each cylinder at the plug, yes.

I would get an EXTRACTOR PUMP to get your oil out. That's what's worked best for me.

The plugs not being moist or being clean are not good indications of anything (IMHO).

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yea I tried the easy way, and it didnt work. Drill pump is 10 bucks though. Hand pumps are ridiculously high. Either way I got to get it done. I will have to take off the exhaust risers to get to the plug hole just to get a gauge in them. Does anyone have any idea if there is an easier way to get the plugs out?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Split open P/S cooler and water in the oil might equal an engine that was not winterized. As in cracked block or heads.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Split open P/S cooler and water in the oil might equal an engine that was not winterized. As in cracked block or heads.

The diagnosis of not a correct winterization is correct. I did know what I was doing and screwed that up for sure. I have compression check in hand and I am about to take off risers and check all cylinders. Also bought a hand pump to get the out. I will post pics for those that are a new to inboards like I am. It is hard to find any type of actual work being done pics for the omc 5.0.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the risors off and got to all of the plugs. I have two clys on one side that have water. One is obvious the other just looks like itdoes. I checked comp and I have 125 on all but those 2 with theI would guess the head gasket at this point? Just on one side? Anyone ever use Blue Devil on an inboard before using a pump to recirculate the water exhausted?

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I pulled the head that had water on the plugs. I have lots of pics uploading so that I can share them with you. I have a few questions while waiting.

1). I seen no evidence on the head gasket or the head of a "bad spot".
2). the intake gasket had a lot of issues and there were a lot is problem areas in my NON- Expert opinion.
3). Could a bad intake gasket possibly cause water in the oil, and in 2 of the cylinders?
4). What is the metal pan on the bottom of the intake that has the small hole?
5). When I losened the bottom head bolts clean water poured out of the bolt holes. Is that normal?
6). Is there something I can use to clean all these parts? What can I get the gasket material off with that will not screw this all up?

I will post a link to the photos as soon as they are ready. Thanks again for your help in this.