omc cobra shift interrupter switch not working

68dustin

Seaman
Ok so I have an 88 omc 4.3l with cobra outdrive. When the boat is running, If I push the switch in with my hand the motor will not stall. I tested it and it seems to be grounding correctly. If I put a test light on it, the light comes on and completes the circuit through the switch when the lever is pushed up. What else could be the problem?

southkogs

Staff member
So ... if I follow correctly, in neutral the engine will power up no problem. But in gear it's stalling out?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It won't til it's in the water,... prop resistance is necessary,....

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How many switches do you have?
I have seen some with 2, and some with just one.
I have also seen some with 2, but the overstroke switch not even connected.

Idlespeedonly

The overstroke switch is normally closed. The other is normally open. You need to verify this.
What is the rpm at idle.
If it is too high the ESA wont function.

68dustin

Seaman
ill check the rpm tonight and get back to you. So it does need to be in the water for it to work?

Idlespeedonly

No. as long as you are operating it manually.
Now in order for it to do it automatically then yes it would need to be in water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The motor is not supposed to stall. It should stumble like a few spark plugs aren't firing.

If you are trying to do this when the drive is in gear, it won't stumble because the overstroke switch is being acivated which opens up the circuit.

68dustin

Seaman
I must have something wrong, If it's idling in the driveway ( in neutral or park) . I can push the switch in by hand and nothing happens. Does it sound like its not working properly? rpms are around 700-800

Last edited:

Idlespeedonly

You need to get the rpm down to 500-550 first. Its possible it is to high.

68dustin

Seaman
ill give that a shot ^^^ could my esa be bad, does this boat have one? 1988 omc cobra 4.3l

68dustin

Seaman
ok, so last night I cleaned the connections on the grounds at the esa. Now its all working correctly !!! yay!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
ok, so last night I cleaned the connections on the grounds at the esa. Now its all working correctly !!! yay!!!
Obviously you DO have an ESA.

Now, ensure that it's only activating when you come OUT of gear. It shouldn't activate when going from Neutral to FWD or REV.......... AND it shouldn't activate (or will not) activate when coming out of gear on the trailer.

"Out-of-gear" forces are greater when there's torque on the prop (like when you're in the water)

If it activates going into gear or on on the trailer, your lower shift cable or transom drive shift mechanism or the (internal) drive shifter itself may be binding enough to produce (lower shift) cable forces to cause activation when it shouldn't!

Cheers,

Rick