1988 4.3L V6 OMC Cobra leaking water

brian_33

Cadet
I have a 1988 Sun Ray 1900 4.3L V6 OMC Cobra. The last time out last season I noticed water in the bilge. When I put it in the other day I could hear water leaking into the boat from the transom area before starting the engine. I tried looking to see exactly where it was coming in but could not see. I am wondering what the most likely causes are and ballpark costs of those repairs.
Any thoughts or advice?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Bein' a gusher like that, grab yer camera or phone, 'n snap a few pictures to see where you can't see,....

Could be a bad bellows, or a rotten transom,....

No guesses on repairs, til ya find the leak,....

brian_33

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Bondo...I will try the camera tomorrow.... I assume that my best case scenario is a bad bellows?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I ain't much of an OMC guy, but ya, bellows is probably right up there as a Best case scenario,...

brian_33

Cadet
Would the fact that I could hear water dripping make it more likely to be the bellows? If the transom was rotten would the water just seep in or run down the back wall?

woodstockmarine

Seaman Apprentice
go out to your boat and take the lower unit in your hand and push down and lift up with the weight of your body and lift using your legs. Does the transom flex at all? I should be solid as a rock... if it flexes at all your transom is soft. Harder to tell on a I/O then an outboard. anyway your talking thousands for a transom replacment and over a thousand i am sure to pull the lower unit to get at a bellow repair. May be time to sell it and move on to a different boat. older OMC is known for a ton of different problems

brian_33

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Woodstock...the transom seems solid and upon closer inspection from the outside I can see a hole in what I assume is the upper bellows.
My plan was to sell it this spring. I guess now I must decide whether to fix it before I sell it. I don't think that is a job I want to tackle myself and I doubt that I will get my money back if it is $1000 repair job.....what to do?...what to do?

brian_33

Cadet
OK.. Going to try and fix it myself ..What all do I need?

I have a 1988 4.3L V6 OMC Cobra model# 432APRGDE... The upper bellows has a hole in it.So I was thinking that I order a "Bellows Kit "Sierra Part# 18-2771. and replace the bellows and gimbal bearing. What other parts/supplies might I need? And what special tools might I need? What is the best tool to use for pulling out the gimbal bearing?Any suggestions, advice or direction to such would be much appreciated . Any youtube video reccomendations? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
the transom seems solid and upon closer inspection from the outside I can see a hole in what I assume is the upper bellows.

Ayuh,.... The bottom big bellows is the exhaust, which has slits in it, it's wet both sides anyways, no matter,....

The top big bellows is the drive shaft, 'n needs to be sealed,....

Ya really oughta back it back into the water at the launch, 'n LOOK to see exactly where the water is comin' in,...
Then spend yer money where ever it needs fixin',...

You'll wanta take out any seats, 'n covers that are there, 'n bring a camera to see where yer head won't fit, but yer hand will,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Pulling the drive to do a bellow is not a $1,000 job unless other more serious issues are found (like the drive won't come off)... If a normal replacement it should be more like half that.

brian_33

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I pulled the drive off (came off easy) there was water in the upper. Ordered a bellows kit with gimbal bearing and the water inlet hose. I am thinking I can replace the bellows and gimbal bearing without taking any more of it apart. Do you think it will be possible to replace the water inlet hose without removing the pivot housing? Also is the a substitute grease for OMC Triple Guard Grease that the manual calls for that i can pick up at my local auto parts store. And what type grease should I be putting into the Ujoints? they were wet but I pumped in new grease pushing out the old and some water.til I ran out.

brian_33

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Danny. I found a friend that said I could borrow his. I would like to discontinue this thread and move it to another one that I had already started:
"1988 4.3L V6 Cobra leaking water"