bellows question

dodgeram07

Cadet
im rebuilding the lower unit on my 90 omc cobra and uncover boat last week and the was oil in the lower bellows,is this normal?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not normal. Your input shaft seal is toast. Most likely caused by rust on the shaft and u-joints from a leaking bellows

dodgeram07

Cadet
ok,im new with this boat and motor,but I can work on anything,so there is a top bellow and a bottom.the bottom has holes in the bottom,but it looks like they should be there.and the top bellows?im not near my boat,so the top one should be sealed?bellows that is.so just get some shaft seals.what about the gimbel bearing
thanks for your help.i just need you to tell me in more detail.again thank you.phil.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your bottom bellows is the exhaust. It's possible your power steering cooler is leaking.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What engine do you have?

If you have power steering, you have a power steering cooler.

You have any oil in the upper(U-Joint) bellows?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
ok,im new with this boat and motor,but I can work on anything,so there is a top bellow and a bottom.the bottom has holes in the bottom,but it looks like they should be there.and the top bellows?im not near my boat,so the top one should be sealed?bellows that is.so just get some shaft seals.what about the gimbel bearing
thanks for your help.i just need you to tell me in more detail.again thank you.phil.

Ayuh,.... Pull the whole drive off, 'n pressure test it to see where it's leakin',.....

Follow the oil to see where it came from,... like water, it flowed downhill, to where you see it,,...

dodgeram07

Cadet
ok,i was wronge.the top bellows has about two tablespoons in it.and the bottom bellows has the holes in the bottom of bellow.is the holes in bottom bellow suppost to be there? thanks.phil.also the oil in top bellow is that normal?