1972 Sea Ray Almost

micawber13

Cadet
I have been lurking and learning from you gentlemen for some time a couple of years ago I bought a 1972 SRV200 Sea Foam Green in and out. Had the GM 250 I6 in it. Well it was a basket case. I am almost done, I think. The floor is done, engine total rebuild, New fuel pump, alternator,starter,distribuor, water pump. Rebuilt the carb, tilt motor, trim motor, upper and lower. Got it in the water last year for most the year working the bugs out. I was never happy with the power output felt like I had somehow screwed up the timing when I set it originally. So last week set out to try and do it again. Got it started for the year it was running like crap and would not idle , (stalled out at 1000rpm). I pulled the carb and had the float replaced. Came home and it was still running terrible on the low end and would stall out a 800rpm. The distributor is a Mallory (new last year). Anyway I pulled it out and I was following the manual today and noted that the pictures do not show what the directions say for install and timing of distributor. Anyways got it back in got it started, stays running at 1500-2000 but sputters occasionally, but can not lower the rpms without it stalling. I have not had much experience with doing the timing , but I am certain I installed it as written in the manual. Is it common for them to run like crap on this initial timing set or should they idle down. I intend to get a tach and light from a friend tomorrow But what are your thoughts on this rough initial timing, what has been your experience..

southkogs

Staff member
Nah ... that 250 is a brick of an engine. It should purr for ya'. Mine can be so quiet at idle that you can't hear it run ... just the bubbling of the exhaust from the stern drive.

I'm wondering if maybe your choke isn't working right?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Did ya put fresh Points in the distributor,..??

micawber13

Cadet
Southkogs- Thanks I will try some other stuff today.
Bondo_- No, your right. I took that for granted and should not have. Thanks guys for the response. Will get back to the post when its done. It may be awhile, shipping will be a couple days to a week.

micawber13

Cadet
Pulled the cap and reset the points gap and then had the son crank it to see what kind of spark I was getting at the hew setting. Almost nothing at all. So I ordered a set of points and a condenser. Should be here soon.

micawber13

Cadet
Well new coil, points and condenser all set ,I figured since I was shipping I would get it all the coil was probably original anyways. Just got done gave it a crank and it cranked with no fire, so out of frustration l buttoned it up for the night. Will start fresh in the AM. Will post around lunch time.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Installin' the points, settin' the dwell, 'n timin' are pretty much a single operation, that's all done, at the same time,....

Do ya have a dwell meter,..?? How 'bout a timin' light,..??

Do to the fact it wouldn't Fire, I'm guessin' yer way off on the settin's,....

micawber13

Cadet
Well just came back in, there is absolutely no spark across the points. I went through the trouble shooting guide and everything seems to be as it should. I am unsure where to go there should be spark across the points. Until I have spark there I at a standstill.

micawber13

Cadet
Points where grounded at the bayonet connector ( just a tiny bit with the distributor housing ) , have spark now. Will update when timing is done on sunday.

micawber13

Cadet
Everything is back together but, still have no fire in the engine. Checked the ballast resistor its fine , even ran a bye pass. I am at a loss as to what has happened. Have great spark timing is set right. Carb seems to be doing all the right stuff and still nothing.

southkogs

Staff member
You're getting spark to the cylinder, and the engine is cranking but not starting, correct? Check the fuel line? Mine cracked one year ... drove me nuts trying to figure out what was going on.

micawber13

Cadet
Southkogs Yes each cylinder is getting healthy spark and it is turning over just not firing. Good idea . I will run through the entire system (tank, line and carb) and get back to you. It will take a couple days. Thanks

micawber13

Cadet
SC- fuel line looks great , but was empty and did not have any free flowing gas when I pulled it from the fuel pump( barely anything came out. I pulled about a liter of fuel out of the tank through the fuel line with a hand pump. Did not see any particals or water in the gas, looked good,smelled good. After placing the fuel line back on I left it over night. it did not seem to lose any prime and free flowed gas from the tank 24 hrs later, also cleaned the end of the vent ( it was pretty clogged). I did not pull the top off the carb, but am going to see if it will fire now in the next day or two. I just don't have the time til the weekend. Will up date on Saturday or Sunday.

micawber13

Cadet
SK -Got it cranked up yeah!!!! Ran it for about ten minutes, during which the engine developed a surge that went from barely noticeable at first to eventually stalling the engine at about ten minutes. when held at 1500 RPM it would go slower for a few seconds and then go back up to 1500 for 5-10seconds and then do it again. Could not reduce throttle to ideal without having the engine stall. I am obviously thinking its a fuel supply thing. I changed the filter in the fuel pump, with no change. I n the AM I am going to run it on a separate fuel supply to see if its a upstream problem. If so I will pull the tank and start fresh with new lines and such. Will update on Saturday

southkogs

Staff member
Good luck - does sound fuel related, maybe carb or throttle though. One step at a time though. Make sure ya' got water cooling the system if you're gonna' run it that long.

micawber13

Cadet
Ran this morning on a separate tank, no change. It started right up and idled right down to 600 and held for about a minute , then began to bog down in a cyclical manner until it stalled about 90 seconds later. So the carb is next on the block , any suggestions or pointers appreciated. I played with the idle screws a little and found a good setting at 2.5 turns out. they are not the problem. The

micawber13

Cadet
SK - new pump two years ago when engine rebuilt, and changed the filter in it yesterday, and cleaned the screen in the carb yesterday. Found a lot of particles in the screen , actually surprised by how much got by the pump filter. If there was that much in the screen there has to be some that got into the carb. I don't know if I am going to rebuild it or take it to the shop in town and have them do it. Probably take it to the shop.