tilt clutch cover grease fitting

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I read to put a grease fitting in the cover to keep the tilt clutch lubed and free of water.
I want to know what the best location for the zerk is , can't Be in the fill cap because it would hamper removal of the cap.

Also how do I tell if the clutch PAC is in good operating condition.

Thanks, Rich

southkogs

Staff member
Man, I know you've been fighting that tilt of yours Rich ... I just don't know the clutch pack at all. I've been too scared to open mine. Just keep it lubed and it's been good to me.

Wish I could help ya' on that one, but I just don't know.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man, I know you've been fighting that tilt of yours Rich ... I just don't know the clutch pack at all. I've been too scared to open mine. Just keep it lubed and it's been good to me.

Wish I could help ya' on that one, but I just don't know.

Thanks,
I have taken the the system apart looking for problems.
This time I found the worm gear shaft broken probably from lowering it to fast.
I just need to find out how to check the clutch disks if they operate like a auto clutch I can figure it out.
I am not even sure how it works, it can't separate like a auto clutch, it is held together tight with retaining clips.
Thanks, Rich

southkogs

Staff member
That worm gear and the hammer coupling are the culprits I hear most often. AFTER the motor. I've not really heard of too many issues with the clutch packs.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see 2different clutch pac's will both work.
1 has a shaft holding pressure on the plates the other has lock rings holding the pressure.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
This video kinda helped me figure out the clutch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m962zhhENI8

Be aware that the pack shown in that vid is a later model. Earlier ones did not have the set screw to adjust tension. They must have used shims for that. I do believe they are interchangeable but I do not know what date they made the change. I think the set screw models are easier to disassemble because you can back off the tension with the screw. On the earlier ones you have to compress the pack to disassemble and re-assemble.

I also do not know how you adjust the proper tension on the ones pictured in the video. It was disappointing that they did not cover that.

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I fooled with mine all day,once you fool with for a while it's pretty simple how it works.you will get mad at it if you work on yourself.