Impeller not pumping water??

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All

After a long cold winter, I finally got my 87 19' Bluefin 2.3 out from behind the shed and fired it up today. Only one problem, I am not getting the muff water to pump properly from the LU up into the motor. I checked the impeller and it was new from last year, intact and flexible. The hoses and LU passages all seem to be clear.

If I hold the muffs tight to the LU the water does work it's way up the hose and it seems to work once it gets "primed" this way. Although I don't believe it would suck up water if it was actually sitting in the water. Last year when I got my girl going, it only took 3-5 seconds for the water to start screaming through the hose. Once the water gets flowing I immediately attach the hose back on to the thermostat housing and it worked great all year.

Can someone educate me as to what I should do to solve this frustrating problem?? Do I need to pull out the impeller and reinstall it with the fins positioned in a clock or counter-clock wise direction? and lastly should I plug up the little spout coming out of the impeller housing so that a greater vacuum would be created??

Your responses are always welcome!!

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
maybe the problem??- ive had this happen- remove lower unit - remove upper impeller housing & VERIFY!! the key is IN the impeller & on shaft!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
maybe the problem??- ive had this happen- remove lower unit - remove upper impeller housing & VERIFY!! the key is IN the impeller & on shaft!!
He has a Cobra so no need to remove lower unit.

No need to cover up the spout. That should actually have a hose on it but it is basically just as air bleed. It is not your issue.

You have the hose on full blast? It needs to be.

Last edited:

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last night I was thinking about the set up. I believe I may have reinstalled the out drive w/o double checking the o ring that seals the water port that the water flange fits into. I am not sure if that port takes water in and up into the motor or if it is the port for the exhaust water. I will need to remove the outdrive and double check all of the passages and seals.

This outdrive is not easy to install and my back is hurting just thinking about it :(