OMC 1985 v6 stringer repair manual

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, im looking to reseal my upper housing on my 85 stringer driver. However, i seemed to have a problem. The adult only section downloads seem to have dissapeared for this drive.
Anyone have a pdf version they could share with the rest of the class? I have all the parts but I would like torque specs and such. Anyone able to help?
thanks

southkogs

Staff member
See if you can find the info you need HERE. I'm not sure if it's in the stuff he posted or not (haven't looked in a while).

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thanks guys but none of those had what i need. so I am still looking for a pdf version of the service manual for a 85 stringer

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
You want factory or generic Seloc or Clymer?
I know the OMC factory manual never got published in any digital format - only paper. Ken Cook publications has the originals.

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You want factory or generic Seloc or Clymer?
I know the OMC factory manual never got published in any digital format - only paper. Ken Cook publications has the originals.
Yeah, im not sure it really matters on this one. obviously id lke to have the most accurate one. i was hoping someone had a pdf version i could download. At one time it was up on the adult section. I had downloaded it way back when. But that computer and all its documents is long gone. Now i have this outdrive ready to assembly and would like to make sure i got the torques right on everything. looks like ill have to buy either a seloc or clymer.
unless someone knows the specs for the bolts on the water pump housing, exhaust housing and such. Im resealing the upper half of the drive.

Mark B.

Cadet
I have original OMC service manuals from '76 and '77 not sure they would be much use on an '85?
Mark

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok broke down and bought the seloc manual off amazon. just came in today. So ill read through that tonight and post up any questions. Mr. Sterndrive, I am gonna have a few (questions) for you tomorrow. Hope your ready.

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok so ive been reading.... can't seem to find if i need new seals on the pivot ends when servicing the drive or just reuse the old. i am gonna upgrade to the pivot cap water inlet rather then run it on muffs
bought the evinrude/johnston sealer got the loctite 680
what else am i missing Mr.Sterndrive?

southkogs

Staff member
I don't typically replace the seals on the pivot caps, but they are available HERE and I am gonna' put a new set on this year.

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok, I have a question. apparently OMC used two designs on the water pump/ One with an o ring around the water pump housing sandwich and one without. I have taken mine apart and while i dont have an oring around the housing there is space for one. should i put one there even if it was without one originally. http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/55126.cfm?mdl=VROVFV part number 76 on this parts list
I called crowley marine. they said that omc changed it and some had it and later models did not need it. if i dry fit everything together there is the perfect space for one.
Fyi, this is the first time the water pump is being serviced. No this is not from lack of maintenance. I only have 5 seasons on the boat PERIOD ever yes EVER.

southkogs

Staff member
I don't know for sure on an '85. But I've got it on mine. I would think if there's room for it, it's best to have it to help control water flow.

swaycleveland

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yeah i just ordered it . we will see how it all fits back together when the parts get here. I do have to say, for as much bad press these drives get its pretty easy to work on

southkogs

Staff member
yeah i just ordered it . we will see how it all fits back together when the parts get here. I do have to say, for as much bad press these drives get its pretty easy to work on
... that's true. Where they probably get their bad press is how much ya' have to work on 'em :) They can be a little finicky. And that parts are gettin' harder to find. But you should be full mechanical, and those are supposed to be pretty good drives.