sterndrive clutch

dcallen8

Cadet
They are replaceable but may not need to be depending on tilt problem. I had water in clutch housing last year so I removed cover and found clutch pack looked O.K. so I just cleaned it, replaced gear shaft seal, and housing plate O ring and gasket, refilled housing (type C lube) and it works good. If you replace gear seal the transom quadrant needs to be removed to get access to seal. The OD needs to be propped up with stick or something so you maintain position. Wasn't that big of a job except for getting the three bolts backed out of the quadrant plate.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They are replaceable but may not need to be depending on tilt problem. I had water in clutch housing last year so I removed cover and found clutch pack looked O.K. so I just cleaned it, replaced gear shaft seal, and housing plate O ring and gasket, refilled housing (type C lube) and it works good. If you replace gear seal the transom quadrant needs to be removed to get access to seal. The OD needs to be propped up with stick or something so you maintain position. Wasn't that big of a job except for getting the three bolts backed out of the quadrant plate.

Problem is the o/d only goes up if someone helps it while I operate the switch.
I pulled the plug no water , I replaced most everything the batt is 12.8 goes down easily possibly to easy.
Thanks, Rich

pattyson

Cadet
I have a stringer 800 and had same problem. Cleaned the clutch pack, changed the tilt motor cause it was inop. Put a new tilt motor on, worked good going up... then I hit the down switch and boy did that think slam down and freaking sheared the brand new tilt motor shaft. So now I just tap it down in little increments. A good battery is a must too. When I load the boat, right after I shut it off, I raise it. Maybe because its warm it goes up better. I do carry a strap to lasso it so that I can help it if I need to when I hit the switch... As I'm out by myself a lot. A lot of guys suggest putting grease in it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You need to tell us if the tilt motor is not strong enough or seems to be dragging or if it is slippage in the tilt clutch that is the issue. If the tilt clutch is the problem then remove the large snap ring from the behind the cover. Place it on a flat surface or just look at it carefully from the edge. Often this ring becomes bowed (not perfectly flat). If that's the case, this can cause the clutch pack to loosen a bit. Either install a new snap ring or simply turn it around so the bow is inward. It may also be the clutch pack is simply worn.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The tilt motor is new I assume it is strong enough, it is the correct replacement .
I don't know if it slipping or not I only know it won't go up without help.
I found a new PAC on e bay but it has the pin in it mine has a lock ring holding it together does it matter ?? I think after 43 yes. It could use a new one .
What else should I check while the clutch is out.
Thanks, Rich

wrench 3

Commander
Did you remove the worm gear and check the thrust bearings.
The spring puts pressure on the clutch plates so it all turns together as one. But if the drive hits something, the force overrides the spring pressure, the clutch slips and lets the drive kick up.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do I check the clutch to be sure it is in good conditions.
It looks good no water, rust ,ect.
Thanks Rich