86' OMC 4.3L Motor mount supports location Galaxie Granada

okcsuburbs

Recruit
Have an 86' Galaxie Granada with OMC 4.3L inboard and the rails that support the engine mounts were rotted and previous owner removed them and began to rebuild. Hoping to find someone with the same boat so I can get some measurements. Any help is appreciated. Galaxie went out of business in 09'. Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... '86,.... isn't that a Cobra drive,..?? not a Stringer, Right,..??

southkogs

Staff member
'86 was the last year of the Stringers - the Cobras woulda' been just coming' out the same time: so it could be either.

Have you looked around the restoration forums?

okcsuburbs

Recruit
Not sure which. tried to upload a pic but it is saying invalid file attachment. It doesn't say cobra on it, it says OMC stern then it is faded away.Can you explain to me how the cooling system works? Is there a separate water pump in the lower unit in addition to the one on the motor? it appears to be an open system.

southkogs

Staff member
If it's white, you probably have a full mechanical Stringer sterndrive.

Water pump up on the engine is a circulation pump. In the Stern drive - on the bottom of the upper gear case is where the impeller is located. That impeller is where the raw water is drawn up in to the systedm.

southkogs

Staff member
This'll help a little more (was away from my computer a lot this weekend):

Red arrow is pointing to the rough location of the impeller on an OMC Stringer. That's an electric shift outdrive in the photo.