out drive goes down not up

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1972 225 electric shift sterndrive omc.
The o/ d goes down, up only if you help lift it up.
Battery test 12.8 v new motor and solonid, new switch. Clutch oil good no water.
Thanks, Rich
What should I do.

wrench 3

Commander
I will assume that dpratt's post is in the wrong place and that one of the moderator will move it.

Rich: Is the spring OK in the hammer blow coupling.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will assume that dpratt's post is in the wrong place and that one of the moderator will move it.

Rich: Is the spring OK in the hammer blow coupling.

I believe it is OK I had the coupling out when I replaced the motor it is not broken and holds the coupling together .I have checked everything sho rt of chsnging the clutch pack oil, I checked it no water.
Thanks , Rich

southkogs

Staff member
Does your outdrive go up and down easily by hand? Just wondering if your outdrive is binding up on the trunions at all.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does your outdrive go up and down easily by hand? Just wondering if your outdrive is binding up on the trunions at all.

Goes down easily, will go up if someone helps it while I operate the switch.trunnions plenty of grease.
Thanks, Rich

wrench 3

Commander
Check the voltage at the connector closest to the tilt motor. In case your getting a voltage drop somewhere. If that's OK it sounds like your going to have to pull the clutch housing apart. Maybe a bad thrust bearing on the worm shaft.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check the voltage at the connector closest to the tilt motor. In case your getting a voltage drop somewhere. If that's OK it sounds like your going to have to pull the clutch housing apart. Maybe a bad thrust bearing on the worm shaft.

OK, thanks I will check out the clutch

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Did I read that you replaced the tilt motor? Some, and I don't know how to identify them, just do not develop the proper torque required to raise the outdrive. They are usually the cheaper ones. I would get your hands on a manual and do a torque test, per the manual, on the motor.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I heard that also, I asked a marine parts MaN that question, he said it doesn't matter what the cost is the torque should be the same

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I heard that also, I asked a marine parts MaN that question, he said it doesn't matter what the cost is the torque should be the same

Maybe they should be but THEY ARE NOT!....and you will not know it until you do a torque test, as per the manual. All other indications are that your OD moves freely and you do not have a current problem. Also the fact that your drive does not slip in the clutches is another indicator that it is a tilt motor with insufficient torque to raise the drive.

wrench 3

Commander
My manual says to put a blade type screwdriver bit onto a torque wrench, insert it into the slot in the end of the motor shaft and power up the motor. The first time I tried that it broke the end of the shaft. So since then I've put a small hose clamp around the shaft first.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'll go along with a voltage drop some where. Get a volt meter and start testing.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My manual says to put a blade type screwdriver bit onto a torque wrench, insert it into the slot in the end of the motor shaft and power up the motor. The first time I tried that it broke the end of the shaft. So since then I've put a small hose clamp around the shaft first.

OK.
I removed the motor and worm gear.
The motor had twisted the shaft to the point of twisting the slot to the breaking point.
I ordered a new shaft and gasket set will test the torque of motor.
I don't know why it twisted it this time it has been a problem all along, and I have had the motor out b/4 to check the hammer blow witch by the way is still good.
Thanks, Rich