84 Reinell 5.0 OMC Rochester quadrajet carb question

kidmet

Seaman Apprentice
I got a rebuilt carb. They did a good job, but I run my boat and then can't start it because the engine is flooded. (I think). Things I need to check, what is the recommended primary meter jet size? Also, how about the metering pins? I also changed from manual to electric choke, so I am curious about the choke setting as well. I will end up taking it in to get tuned up, but I'd like to have the parts up front for them to install. HELP! :) Thanks guys

alldodge

Staff member
I got a rebuilt carb. They did a good job, but I run my boat and then can't start it because the engine is flooded. (I think). Things I need to check, what is the recommended primary meter jet size? Also, how about the metering pins? I also changed from manual to electric choke, so I am curious about the choke setting as well. I will end up taking it in to get tuned up, but I'd like to have the parts up front for them to install. HELP! :) Thanks guys

If your dripping fuel down the throat of the carb its more then likely the float level is set incorrectly. Either that or there is a speck of something in the needle seat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Or this is one of the Q-jets with a porous casting and fuel is leaking from the float bowl. As for the choke, you set that on a stone-cold engine. Open and close the throttle once. See where the choke plate is sitting. On a stone cold engine (ambient temp) the plate should just barely close when you push gently on the back side and then release it. If ambient temps are in the 80+ degree or higher range, adjusting it so it has 1/8 inch gap would be fine.