Intermediate housing oil leak into bilge

dcallen8

Cadet
Hi, first time posting to a forum. Hope this works! I have a 1969 Stamus Fastback with 283 Chevy engine and OMC stringer OD. I've been getting OD oil (type C) leaking into my bilge very slowly for the last 2 years but recently it is excessive to the point that I won't run the boat for fear of burning the ball gear drive shaft. I first thought that it may be a bad housing gasket but from what I've been reading it's probably a gear shaft oil retainer seal problem. The draining oil is clean with no apparent water leakage. Any Ideas?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have something similar happening on a '75 electric shift intermediate housing. Not sure what 'type C lube is but the 75-90w that is in the intermediate housing has a distinct organic smell. My leak into the bilge seems to be related to the level of oil in the housing. When I let it run down, just past the bottom of the fill plug threads, it doesn't seem to leak anymore..

In my case, the front seal of the ball gear shaft is original. It has survived one replacement of the ball gear shaft. A few years back I replaced my shaft and coupler with the later larger splined shaft and coupler but I never changed the front seal. I think it is weeping now but seems to be related to the amount of pressure created by the fluid level.

Last edited:

dcallen8

Cadet
Thanks Boomyal, you may be onto something because I didn't have the leaking problem until I started paying closer attention to the I.H. fluid level. I have been guilty of overfilling the housing reservoir so I'm hoping that may be the problem. I also have the electric shift and the orginal OMC says Type C (available at West Marine, etc.) others say

dcallen8

Cadet
Sorry, OMC owner's manual says to use Type C. Thanks for the info on the shaft front seal being so resilient.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, OMC owner's manual says to use Type C. Thanks for the info on the shaft front seal being so resilient.
I don't doubt it does. Reality is you only need it where the electric shift part is. If it's the same price, then use type C everywhere.

strikemike

Seaman
For the Tilt Motor i use normal Engine Oil. Upper Caser Sierra 18-9650-2, Underwater Case Sierra 18-9620-2.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
pressure test the intermediate housing, or just pull the ball gear shaft out and change the seal. You change it from the rear - no need to pull the engine usually. Factory manual should show procedure.

dcallen8

Cadet
Changing the shaft seal is my early spring project. Looks like I just need to remove the outdrive and access shaft from transom. Thanks

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
The trick might be in pulling the bearing races. However, I think a 1969 would just be plain roller bearings, not tapered. Not sure about that era. If they are tapered roller bearings, you want to pull that inner race carefully so you can reuse it. If you damage it and need a new bearing, then you'll need to pull the engine to set the preload with rolling torque.
If it's plain rollers, then you're laughing.