Remote Starter Switch for 1994 OMC Cobra (SX) Ford 5.8L EFI

Buster13

Recruit
How do I rig up a Remote Start Switch to start a Ford 5.8L EFI using the 9-pin Engine Harness and a pig tail plug?

I reviewed Don's Remote Starter Switch post from '06 but it references a Carbureted Engine.
Will that same switch configuration start the Ford 5.8L EFI engine?

I am attempting to start my engine on a stand and must prevent any potential damage to the ECM thru shorting the wrong wiring.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
How do I rig up a Remote Start Switch to start a Ford 5.8L EFI using the 9-pin Engine Harness and a pig tail plug?

I reviewed Don's Remote Starter Switch post from '06 but it references a Carbureted Engine.
Will that same switch configuration start the Ford 5.8L EFI engine?

I am attempting to start my engine on a stand and must prevent any potential damage to the ECM thru shorting the wrong wiring.

:welcome: to iboats

As a non-OMC expert I'll provide the following. The wiring diagram below is for an OMC Cobra. The wairing appears to be pretty close to the same as a Mercruiser with looking over it.

I see connect a jumper from the R/PU (Red/Purple) wire to the P (Purple) wire. The jumper will be as if you turned the key to ON. Next either momentarily jump from the R/PU to the Y/R (Yellow/Red) wire and the starter should crank.

To turn OFF pull the R/PU to P jumper.

Cobra%20Engine%20Wiring.gif

This diagram does not show the fuel pump, so you may need to apply 12V to it, may not

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
Sorry to get in your face again AllDodge. But that wiring diagram is for a carburated engine. However the pinout on the harness connector is the same, so your jumper hookup will still work. It will also power up the ECM witch in turn will power up the fuel pump.
If the OP is interested, here is a link to your wiring diagrams http://boatinfo.no/lib/omc/manuals/1...nual.html#/438. The upper left diagram should be yours.
I just tried the link and you might have to punch in the 438 at the bottom center of the page.

Last edited:

Buster13

Recruit
Thanks for the help fellas, I set up the remote start configuration (red/pu - yellow/red) for cranking the engine and switched the (red/pu - pu) for key on. When I switch-on (red/pu - pu) to simulate key-on, I do not get voltage at the Ignition module. Any idea what could be causing this no voltage condition at the Ignition (heat sink) module? I also get no voltage at ignition module when cranking the engine.

wrench 3

Commander
The ignition module is powered up by the EEC relay witch also powers up the ECA (computer). It's turned on by the purple wire, but it gets it's power from a wire that goes directly to the battery positive terminal. The wire has an inline fuse close to the battery and a circuit breaker close to the relay.
For locations or more info on the relay, go to the link that I posted earlier and punch in 289 or 293 respectively at the center bottom of the page.