marine vs. automotive engine

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know the can and gaskets are different and the starter ect. Are marine what else is diff from a automotive engine.
Can I put a automotive engine in if I transfer the marine parts to the auto engine
Current engine has cracked block.
1972 omc 225 sterndrive electric shift.
Thanks, Rich

Bondo

Staff member
I know the can and gaskets are different and the starter ect. Are marine what else is diff from a automotive engine.
Can I put a automotive engine in if I transfer the marine parts to the auto engine
Current engine has cracked block.
1972 omc 225 sterndrive electric shift.
Thanks, Rich

Ayuh,.... Sure,.... change the core plugs to brass too,...

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup, fuel and electrical systems would have to come over from the cracked engine, but the iron will be the same with the exceptions already noted.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the replys.
How does a marine can differ from automotive.
Rich

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
if you are referring to the cam shaft, it has to do with power range at rpms. boat motors run high rpms all the time where automotive engines only rev high until shifting to the next gear

tpenfield

Staff member
The marine cams are 'milder' with less overlap in order to avoid/minimize reversion at idle speeds.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the replys.
How does a marine can differ from automotive.
Rich

CAM (shaft) , right? Truck/RV camshafts closely approximate marine camshafts.......Most truck engines can successfully be "dropped" into a marine application (using the appropiate marine starter/dist/water-pump/manifolds/core-plugs etc)

Last edited: