Alignment Tool ?

Chief123

Seaman
1986 4.3 Cobra
Bought new alignment tool off of internet. After I put my new engine in and reached the point I needed to check alignment I've had no luck! I finally gave up and just thought I try and put the drive on and with little effort it went right in. After doing some checking I see no way for the alignment tool to work--this is why.
When I check OD of tool it is 1.00", Now the OD of the yoke shaft spline reads 1.10" and the inner splines .95", if I'm reading my MIC right.
So pls tell me if I'm right or wrong. If I'm right I'll just get that part of tool machined down.
Thanks for any help.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... All the alignment bars are the same,....

The dimensions are up in Don'S Adults Only section, at the top of the I/O forums,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
attachment.php

You need to correctly align it. If you don't, the next thing you are going to be doing is pulling your engine to replace your coupler.

Here are instructions:
  1. Once you have the engine height close enough to fully insert the tool without force, then you can start working on setting the proper alignment.
  2. Take your time, getting it close enough to insert the tool the first time can sometimes be the hardest (most frustrating) part.
  3. Coat the end section of the tool (the smallest diameter area) with a light coat of grease and then insert it fully into the coupler.
  4. Without turning the tool, pull it straight out and look at the depth of the teeth marks in the grease.
  5. If the teeth marks in the grease are deep on the top side and shallow on the bottom side of the tool then your motor is too high.
  6. If the marks in the grease are deeper on the bottom than on the top then your motor is too low.
  7. Adjust the engine height accordingly.
  8. Keep checking the depth of the marks in the grease until they are equal in depth on top and bottom.
  9. Sometimes as little as 1/8th of a turn on the adjusting nut can be the
    difference between being properly aligned, and just having it "close"
  10. Lightly Grease the splines on the shaft (and on the coupler if you can) with
    Spline grease prior to assembly.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I made my alignment tool from the dimensions below using my neighbors lathe in about 45 min or so.

It "fit" both the Mercruiser Bravo I have now and the OMG 460 King Kobra I ripped out to replace with the Mercruiser!

And, Bruce is right.

If you do not align your engine correctly using a proper tool, you'll be pulling the drive and engine to replace that coupler in short order.

attachment.php

You need to correctly align it. If you don't, the next thing you are going to be doing is pulling your engine to replace your coupler.

Chief123

Seaman
I checked my alignment tool and it is 1.01 on the end. Pulled engine back and tool still will not go into coupler--can't see or feel any ridges or anything.??

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Good thing you are checking! Try raising the front of the engine up and try again.

Put a big glob of grease on the end of the tool and see if you can see any marks when you pull it back out.

Chief123

Seaman
Late update- Pulled engine again and after a closer check I found a very small ridge on two on the coulper splines. Took small rotary tool with sanding drum and hit it --alignment bar went in. Reset engine, and after a few adjustments I get a good reading at all 4 check points. Now onward to the restoration.Thanks all.