First time winterizing

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is the first time I have winterized an inboard\outboard and tell me what you think. It is a omc king cobra with a 460....started by changing the oil, oil filter, water/gas filter. Next, I opened the two drain plugs on the block, removed the hoses on the water pump and rubber caps that I am not sure what the part is called, but it is a small cylinder on the back of the engine. Added stabilizer to the gas, pulled the plugs and fogged each cylinder and replaced the plugs. Blew in all the hoses and made sure no water was trapped. After all of this, I pulled the lower unit and inspected the gimble bearing and re greased it. Is it safe to say I will not be cracking any blocks this winter? One question......do I need to do anything to trim tab resovoir and did I miss anything? Thank you.

superbenk

Commander
We're there any drain plugs on the manifolds to drain water out? Never had that motor so I don't know, but on my merc 5.0 I have a drain on either side of the block, a drain at the bottom of each exhaust log & one to drain the circulating pump (sounds like you pulled the hose on the pump so you probably got it). Also, if you have power steering you should make sure the cooler is drained too (pull the water hose off it).

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
This is the first time I have winterized an inboard\outboard and tell me what you think. It is a omc king cobra with a 460....started by changing the oil, oil filter, water/gas filter. Next, I opened the two drain plugs on the block, removed the hoses on the water pump and rubber caps that I am not sure what the part is called, but it is a small cylinder on the back of the engine. Added stabilizer to the gas, pulled the plugs and fogged each cylinder and replaced the plugs. Blew in all the hoses and made sure no water was trapped. After all of this, I pulled the lower unit and inspected the gimble bearing and re greased it. Is it safe to say I will not be cracking any blocks this winter? One question......do I need to do anything to trim tab resovoir and did I miss anything? Thank you.

Howdy,

Disconnect the big hose on the water-circulating pump to drain it........You should have two oil coolers (power steering and oil) make sure those hoses are free of liquid water, and remove the lower hoses on your manifolds.

There'll be hoses on the front and back of the manifolds. (one [likely on the back of each manifold] will simply be a short piece of hose that blocks water from draining out)

Remove both so you can drain the lower water jacket in the manifolds (you don't want cracked manifolds. They're not easily available anymore)

Make sure that you poke a wire or other suitable poker in each opening on the block and manifolds to clear any rust flakes or other debris.

In lieu of blowing air in the hoses, you can also use a shop-vac to suction out any residual water from open hoses/holes etc if you want.

Cheers,

Rick

finnstar

Cadet
Did you also run it on muffs before all that? On manifolds, you should have drain plugs on them and also if i remember correctly there are 2 rubber plugs in the back of the manifols what you need to remove also.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-10-29 10.59.37.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-10-29 10.59.37.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0