Mercruiser Apha one shift problems

hunter15317

Recruit
i have a '86 Barretta with a older ('74 )140hp mercruiser alpha one outdrive with some issues
previous owner had the shifter apart to replace the tilt trim switch and to reupholster the side panel now i am having problems with my shifter and and when i searched the forums i found this thread..
this is the shifter i have

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...oval-87-searay

i believe the shifter is assemled wrong because when i open the throttle up all the way the shifter cable tries to move to far and activates the interrupter switch the lower shift cable is adjusted correctly

I don't want to bump an old thread so I'm asking if anyone here can offer any answers.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Somehow you wound up in the OMC forum, hunter. Let's see if a MOD can shift ya' into the Mercruiser side where you can get a better answer.

Welcome aboard!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iboats, Hunter. Your topic is in it's new home now. You should get some help from the right members now. Good luck.

Last edited:

hunter15317

Recruit
thank you very much and sorry for posting in the wrong place....still tryin to find my way around

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No problem, Hunter. We just want to maximize your chances of getting good advice.

Lewis1111

Seaman
I would also make sure the linkages are properly set at the shift int switch on the engine...There was a great post on here regarding the proper procedure a while ago or go to the sticky's and hunt down the manual for your engine/drive and set it that way. I just worked on a troublesome shift issue similar to yours and once I set the cables as per the manual it worked great.

thumpar

Admiral
Make sure the drive is in neutral when the handle is straight up. It could be off a few splines. If it is just take the handle off and rotate the shaft until the the drive is in neutral and put the handle back on straight up. You don't need the engine running just have someone rotate the prop to see if it is in neutral.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Here is what I am guessing is your shifter: https://www.mercruiserparts.com/Sho...ng&inbr=1989&bnbr=40&bdesc=MODULAR+COMPONENTS. #15 is where the shift cables attach and #21 is what moves the shift lever to F and R. That little pin and ball is what disengages the pinion from the shaft in throttle only. So I THINK when in N that 15 should be straight up and down. If it is not it seems like it could "overshift" when in WOT Forward. So if your cables are properly adjusted, that could be your problem. Just a guess on my part.