need help/advise on tilt clutch

breakingbass

Cadet
hi all, earlier this week i was prepping my boat for a trip this friday and noticed that the tilt was only working intermittently. i went through all the paces of checking the battery which is a month old and is able to power all of the other electronics including the trim, the solenoids/relays which are all clicking and working properly. everything was measured with a multimeter and everything looked proper. i then removed the motor and test it. also running strong and measuring properly.

i then took the cover off the clutch assembly and everything looked proper. i was then able to remove the outer brass gear and worm gear assembly. the hammer blow, worm gear shaft, worm gear itself and the pins all looked perfect and smooth. it did take a little effort to get the gear and the worm gear out so i figured that maybe these two just got jammed.

i cleaned the worm gear and brass gear, reinstalled them, hooked up the motor, and ran it with the cover off, and then ran the motor. the worm gear and brass gear ran like clockwork. once i slipped the clutch pack and shaft in, is where i get the problem. once the clutch pack and shaft are in place, and using my finger in place of the cover to hold it all together, my buddy would run the motor, and it will run in each direction, but only momentarily.

i am guessing that the tensioning bolt on the shaft that presses the clutch pack together is either too tight or not tight enough. any help, info, opinions, or suggestions would be really appreciated. if i left anything out that might help with solving this problem please let me know. the trip i am going on tomorrow is a volunteer event called the purple heart anglers and its mission is to bring disabled veterans on a fishing trip. my buddies and i have volunteered my boat and will be using my boat to take a few vets out and we will be serving as their deckhands. i really dont want to miss it because of my tilt motor. thanks in advance everyone.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Until you test the torque of the tilt motor, you will not know if you have other issues. Another thing to check is if the outdrive unit swings up and down with no resistance. Are the pivot trunnions well lubricated? You can also have the tilt solenoids click but if there are any weak connections, they won't pass the necessary juice to lift the drive. It is common for the drive to raise at a fraction of the speed that it will lower.

breakingbass

Cadet
thanks for all of the great info. what would be the proper torque readings for the tilt motor to be deemed good to go? the out drive was completely disconnected from the tilt and free swinging. it swings perfectly fine with no resistance. that is a good call on the solenoids, but i believe my buddy checked them with a multi-meter and he said they were good.

what baffles me is that when i had the tilt motor, worm gear, and outer brass gear installed and ran the motor, it would run fine, but once i added just the clutch and pinion assembly, the motor failed to turn the gear. thanks again for the response, we didnt want to let the veterans down at the purple heart angler event so we took the boat out without a working tilt. we ended up lowering and raising the out drive using a ratchet strap and rope. we didnt run the out drive much, i have a trolling motor and we used it most of the time while we fished. the veterans had a great time and it was a fun event. im hoping to get this tilt problem resolved within the next week as im planning a big trip out into the bay for some sturgeon fishing. thanks again for the help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Just like any other motor or engine, it may seem to run fine with no load. But place a load on it and it can fall on its face. Check voltage at the motor with the motor and clutch pack assembled and energized. If the voltage drops dramatically this indicates a bad motor or some poor electrical connections in the trim circuit.