Lookin' for some thoughts on a Stringer Drive

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't give up,there are plenty around.I sold my darn upper for 100 few months ago,and realised how much there going for.I've seen two here in 2months still trying to get them cheap.one was electric shift,other was 800.I'm about to buy everyone i find around here,but got to get rid of the boat,or boats.Its winter,so cheap deals,you may have to craigslist up a little more away from you,people seling whole boats for 300,with the stringers with bad motors.I'm wanting toget this stringer 800 but guy wants 450,bet ill get it for 200 by the end of the winter.

southkogs

Staff member
Don't give up,there are plenty around.
Not at all. I actually have a couple of leads, but I've gotta' make sure I've got my money ducks in a row before I go. Stay tuned ... we'll know in a few weeks!

Right now, I'm looking at keeping this boat going for a while longer.

southkogs

Staff member
I've got a lead on the upper that I need ... haven't been able to break away long enough to drive and check it out. I think it'll work, and the price is reasonable. I just don't want to buy it sight unseen, and need to drive down to check it out. Hopefully this week.

So, yes - still lookin', but not as hard.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Too much hope for the fat guy in the red suit trimmed with white fur to drop one down the chimney? :joyous: It'll probably break when it hits the grate. :grumpy:

May the Kogs family have a Merry Christmas.

southkogs

Staff member
Y'know GA, in my life I've started ruling out the concept of "too much to hope for." Very little surprises me any longer, and generally I'm pretty grateful for that. Though you're right ... with my inner "Charlie Brown" aura, the silly thing would sour due to the tree sap or somethin' dopey like that :rolleyes:

The Kogs will have the Merriest of Christmas', and I hope and pray each of you can have one just like it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've got a lead on the upper that I need ... haven't been able to break away long enough to drive and check it out. I think it'll work, and the price is reasonable. I just don't want to buy it sight unseen, and need to drive down to check it out. Hopefully this week.

So, yes - still lookin', but not as hard.

where at? I'm at home this week.

dozerII

Admiral
I asked cuz I pilled a rotten old glasser home yesterday with a good Stringer in it, but it's an 800.

southkogs

Staff member
I asked cuz I pilled a rotten old glasser home yesterday with a good Stringer in it, but it's an 800.
Thanks Dozer! That's very kind of you.

Stay tuned, I think we're pretty close to a solution.

southkogs

Staff member
He's got a new upper!! I bought a used upper for the drive ... it'll take me a little bit to finish a few projects and put her all back together.

Thanks all for the suggestions and leads.

southkogs

Staff member
UPDATE: Been out a half dozen times or so this year. Everything seems to be working fine. I've got a little knocking in the engine that I can't figure out, but we're not overheating at all.

I had to pull a couple of stunts assembling the new upper to the drive (thank you to archived threads and Howard Sterndrive), but the new upper seems to be doing exactly what it's supposed to. Steering is a bit stiff, and I think it has to do with the exhaust housing seal. If it doesn't start easing up, I'll replace it.

So, she's alive and well. Thanks all.