Lookin' for some thoughts on a Stringer Drive

southkogs

Staff member
So the diagnosis is that my upper gear case is locked up - and I've gotta' make a few decisions. I'm interested in hearing folks opinions, even if we don't come to a conclusion:

After searching through my parts cache and askin' questions, I think I'm down to four options (based on what's available, and what kinda' finances I have right now):

1) I can (and will for a while) continue to look for a used upper or stern drive that works and I can get for under $700.

2) I can send what I have in to a company (I think I've found about 3 options) to have them rebuild the gear case. Base cost is about $800, but any parts like my pinion gear that need to replaced and can't be pirated from my extra stuff is additional. Pinion gear (which I know is locked up) is about $600 alone. So, I'm guessing at least $1,300.

3) I think I can get a remanufactured gear case for about $1,800 - $2,000.

4) I can bag the whole gig - sit out next season - and scrape up about $3k - $4k to get into something a little different.

The boat (despite it's social stigma) has been VERY good for us. We really like it, it suits our boating style, and is in fine condition (you can see HERE). I'm not sure I can replace it easily for $3k.

I'm leaning toward #3, but oscillating quite a bit.

So, what suggestions do y'all have?

Thanks in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... If ya went with option #4,.....

Do ya have enough Stringer Parts, that you can liquidate, in order to generate funds to replace the boat, goin' to another more popular drive,..??

A hard winter of ebayin', 'n craigslistin' might put ya in a Different barge that still suits yer Fancy,..??..... ;)

southkogs

Staff member
Ayuh,..... If ya went with option #4,.....
... I could finally hold my head up in a room full of boaters! :D

Do ya have enough Stringer Parts, that you can liquidate, in order to generate funds to replace the boat, goin' to another more popular drive,..?? A hard winter of ebayin', 'n craigslistin' might put ya in a Different barge that still suits yer Fancy,..??..... ;)
Maybe, but I'm not sure - If I decide to liquidate the Silverline (which I'm open to), I'm patient enough that sitting out next year wouldn't be a death blow. I've actually got a little project rowboat that I need to work on which could keep me occupied while I saved up a little. Though, it's not 100% that I wouldn't have the cash to go out and do something right away either.

One of my hitches is I'm a sap for old glass too. Kinda' hate to see this tub wind up neglected in a farm field somewhere y'know? And at the same time, dunno' how to sell this one off honestly ... I could wind up in the Craigslist TLC topic here!

... Buuuuuuuuuut, another 2 feet is always appealing ;)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Start today, dismantle what you have, start selling on CL or e-bay.
Still a lot of people out there who like and use the stringer stuff.
Or look on CL or e-bay for a used upper.
I'm dismantling my outfit (twin/88/85hp)and putting on a newer motor.
Gonna flood e-bay and CL with adds.
Start looking for a junker?
I KNOW someone somewhere in Tn. has an older boat setting in the back yard with your parts on it.
I lived in Mi. and my partner and I would scour the back country and find ALL kinds of boats for cheap,some were free.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
find a scrap boat and replace with merc stuff? I saw a few this morning on Nashville CL.

if you do scrap I'd go ebay over CL for better exposure.

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks y'all - been watchin' CL & Ebay. If I can find something working (donor boat or otherwise) for less than $1,000 it'll be a VERY serious consideration.

Keep the thought coming.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ That's tempting Howard. Only 5 hours from where I typically visit family.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ Thanks Man! I've been doing a little searching all over, so any links like that help. I need a 21:19 upper, which I believe is the 165, 175 or 190.

I think what I've decided is to spend the next couple months lookin' for a used unit that works ... and isn't internally lined with gold or platinum according to the price. Somewhere over the course of the winter, I'll figure out the next step if I don't find one. Which'll most likely be replacing the boat.

What's awful is that in the little bit of lookin' I'm doing, I still gravitate toward tri-hulls. There's gotta' be an electroshock therapy or something for that, right? ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
All the jarring from the tri hull has affected your brain apparently! :)

southkogs

Staff member
WHAT? I always THOUGHT the RIDE was PRETTY smooth ON the OVER all. :black_eyed:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I have several old stringers sitting on the hill. what year slash model you looking for? PM me. I have sketchy internet at beast so only on here once a week or so. Pics also help me cause I am not as familiar with stringers as I should be. Just know I dont work on them lol

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
K, got the pics. Ill send one of the guys up with the picture and see what we have up there. Ill try to get back to you by thursday if the net works. Real sketchy around here.

southkogs

Staff member
Take your time. No rush at all ... can't tell you how much I appreciate ya' lookin'!

southkogs

Staff member
... yeah, I always mess the spelling up too. :D

Hey, thanks GA! I don't think it'll work, as the 400 was reserved for the 4cyl, and you'd need an 800 for the 6 or 8 cyl. I'll do a little more readin' though to be sure. I've still gotta' make a few phone calls ... stupid job keeps getting in the way!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Seagull Marina in Two Rivers Wisconsin used to stock pile stringers for parts. Was years ago when I last checked.

Have you pulled the drive apart yet? You may get lucky. My stringer only ate the bearings and I was able to fine an upper on eBay to rebuild it.

southkogs

Staff member
Have you pulled the drive apart yet? You may get lucky. My stringer only ate the bearings and I was able to fine an upper on eBay to rebuild it.
LOL ... more like the upper fell apart. I was trying to figure out what happened and why it locked up, and the pinion bearing (entire assembly) fell (yes, fell) out of the drive. You can see HERE what's going on. That whole pinion gear is what's locked. The gears up top move just fine. A gear box is WAY outta' my league, and I don't have a shop anywhere close that'll work on the Stringer.

So, I'm hunting donors right now. Financially, I've kinda' knocked rebuilds and remanufactures out.

Last edited: