Replacing OMC Tru-Course with Teleflex NFB rotary

frickalik

Recruit
Hello all,
This is my first post and i will try and be as detailed as possible.I have 1983 Renken with a 3.8l OMC Stern drive. I want to replace the OMC TRU-COUSE Steering with this NFB teleflex rotary system. I know the cable is 14' long and the new rotary system would fit under the dash, i just dont know about attaching to the stern drive.

A diagram of the OMC tru-course Here

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

You're in for quite the jam ... True Course runs by activating a gear in the intermediate housing which in turn rotates another on the stern drive. The rotary steering will only push and pull. I have the through transom version of OMC steering - I wouldn't suggest going that route - and it's push and pull, but opposite what a standard rotary or rack system works (I had to install my rack upside down). The only way to get the rotary set to replace true course is to rig some custom solution that runs the gears.

I would highly recommend that you replace True Course with True Course. It's a pretty good steering system, honestly.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
OMC had a special gearbox that made it possible to add an ordinary powersteering cylinder to a Stringer outdrive. It is attached to the inside of the intermediate housing, instead of the Tru course box. It has an arm, where the cylinder is attached. But using this gear box demands powersteering. It is too heavy without. That is the only option(besides the one mentioned by southkogs) if you want to remove the Tru course, but these gear boxes are hard to find. I found one myself some years ago and installed on a friends boat.

superbenk

Commander
I actually miss the Tru-Course sometimes. It seemed to have less play than the rotary/power-assist my new boat has. Steering felt more confident & positive with Tru-Course. I agree with others that have said stick with what you have.