Electric shift Drive shaft replacement

jtrew_ca

Cadet
I recently found my drive shaft broken and was wondering if anyone has swapped one out before without using all the specialty tools in the manual. I have the SELOC manual and after looking for the specialty tools it's cheaper to just buy a new leg than try to fix it myself. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
I recently found my drive shaft broken and was wondering if anyone has swapped one out before without using all the specialty tools in the manual. I have the SELOC manual and after looking for the specialty tools it's cheaper to just buy a new leg than try to fix it myself. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Where'd ya find anybody sellin' New electric shift Stringer drives,..??

jtrew_ca

Cadet
sorry, not new, but paying a shop to fix it as opposed to me attempting to do it myself.

Bondo

Staff member
sorry, not new, but paying a shop to fix it as opposed to me attempting to do it myself.

Ayuh,..... Drives, not just the ole Stringers, have always been that way,....

I suggest, if ya found a shop that can, 'n will do the work, Go for it,....

If you buy all the required toolage, you'll probably Never use 'em again, 'n you probably don't have the knowledge base that's needed, along with those Special tools,....

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ What he said. If you're not experienced with the gear cases on the operating table, then you can quickly wind up over your head.

jtrew_ca

Cadet
I ended get a new to me lower unit and hooked it up no problems and took it for a spin before winterizing it and the boat floats and even moves :) Now to figure out what my top speed should be. The fish finder said 26mph and the speedometer said 31, but my gauge for the RPMS doesn't work so I don't know how hard I was pushing the boat.