1988 OMC Cobra sterndrive removal

carlasdaddy

Cadet
Does anybody know how to disconnect the shift cable when removing a 1988 OMC Cobra sterndrive? I can pull the unit back about 1" before it stops and I can't see any way to disconnect the cable.

That's correct. You're probably hanging up on something else.

The U joints are a tight fit in the rear of the bellows and sometimes need a bit of a yank to pop out. Your gimbal bearing might be somewhat stuck on the drive shaft as well.

There's really not too much more going on there. With a helper supporting the out drive, you can pry the unit away from the gimble housing with a wooden slat that won't do any damage. Don't get in there with crow bars or anything that severe.

Lift the drive up and put a block in the space between the parts toward the bottom. Use leverage by pushing the drive down. This should result in the drive creeping off the studs at the top. You can go back and forth this way and have some control over it instead of this 100 pound thing flying off at you.

Patience...it'll come off.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 o-rings on the shaft.
Sometimes they get hung up on the way out?
Lift it up and put a 2x2 in the opening and drop the drive.
It should come loose.

carlasdaddy

Cadet
In the detail diagram of the transom mount, it shows a shift cable guide (#98). When I pull the drive back about an inch, that part is showing on the starboard side and between the lower and middle mounting studs. There is a cable attached to the lower part of on the aft end. Is the cable supposed to pull out of the shift guide when I pull the drive out? I don't want to keep on pulling and mess up something.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The cable stays on the pivot housing. It is basically connected to a bellcrank. The bellcrank mates with a fork on the drive side that you are taking off. Ther eis nothing you need to do with the shift cable in taking off the drive.

This is what it will look like when you get the drive off:
7213029546_90b8f7c5fc.jpg

That pin sticking out in the center of the exhaust area mates with the shift fork on the drive.

Last edited:

carlasdaddy

Cadet
Okay, I got the sterndrive out and made my necessary repair, greased the u-joints, and greased the gimbel bearing. I put on new o-rings (lubricated good with motor oil) and greased the spines on the shaft, being careful not to get grease on front of shaft. I've now been over 2 hours trying to put the drive back - just can't get the splines lines up. Everything came apart fairly easy, so I'm assuming the engine is lined up okay. I am suspending the drive with an engine hoist, so I can adjust the height up and down okay, but I am getting nowhere fast. I'm a newbie working on marine stuff. Any hints or ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The motor may be out of alignment and it takes a special tool to adjust that.

3ronny3

Cadet
The first time I pulled my cobra lower half off I used an engine hoist, the next five times just some floor jacks, when installing I shake the lower end while turning the U-joint with a pry bar takes about 5 minutes on average to get it back together.I use two people lifting the lower end and the floor jacks to hold it while it is off. If the engine mounts were not touched you should be able to reinstall. the engine hoist is proably not allowing you to shake it enough.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What I do to remount the drive.
Blocks under the drive to raise it to the right height (if necessary).
Put shaft in the opening, move it forward.
Then reach in and lift the shift rod "up".
That puts it Forward.
Then reach down and pull up on the prop with your right hand.
This turns the whole unit and rotates the shaft to align the splines.
When you removed the old o-rings on the shaft.Did you clean the grooves?
If not the old grease will "lift" the o-rings and cause block/lock.
You can take the o-rings off and see if it goes in without them in place.
If it doesn't go in then the motor probably needs to be aligned.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you check your alignment. Do NOT put the drive in gear. You can rotate the drive shaft with a screw driver inserted between the u-joints which is what the OEM manual says to do.