Oil filter for OMC

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 2.5 L OMC sterndrive. Model # 252STHRCRA. I am having trouble finding the correct oil filter. The filter that I have on there now is a Johnson Evinrude 502902. The local marine dealer does not sell Johnson Evinrude filters or oil anymore. They gave me a Mercruiser oil filter 35-866340K01. On the box it does say it is for a inline GM 4 cylinder engine which is what I have. However the old Johnson filter is much longer than the Merc. Do I need to to find something else? Also the oil they sold me is Mercury 25W-40. The engine calls for SAE 30 but they told me I should use the 25W-40. Is that correct?

Thanks

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why is the filter shorter? When I use that cross reference for the johnson and the merc there is a different wix filter for each.

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. Are you saying I can stick with the Merc or should I get the wix?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
They are the exact same block. I would just buy the WIX. NAPA carries their own labeled filters which are made by WIX.

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I see what your saying. Thank you. What about the 25W-40 is that more common oil weight now days?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Ok I see what your saying. Thank you. What about the 25W-40 is that more common oil weight now days?

I use Mobil1 15W-40. That is one alternative. If you can find straight 30W that is also fine.

The only oil I would stay away from is non synthetic 10w-40

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Always use Sierra Oil and Filter, never had any issues.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1984 2.5 L OMC sterndrive. Model # 252STHRCRA. I am having trouble finding the correct oil filter. The filter that I have on there now is a Johnson Evinrude 502902. The local marine dealer does not sell Johnson Evinrude filters or oil anymore. They gave me a Mercruiser oil filter 35-866340K01. On the box it does say it is for a inline GM 4 cylinder engine which is what I have. However the old Johnson filter is much longer than the Merc. Do I need to to find something else? Also the oil they sold me is Mercury 25W-40. The engine calls for SAE 30 but they told me I should use the 25W-40. Is that correct?

Thanks

Howdy,

There is no marine specification for oil filters so any suitable filter that fits your engine/adapter will work just fine.

There is a marine spec for marine (4-stroke) oil: NMMA FC-W http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/fc-w.aspx

The Mercury 25W-40 meets NMMA FC-W specifications..............but it's not mandatory..........it didn't exist when your engine was manufactured......

Just about any oil works if it at least meets what the manufacturer recommended when the engine was made or what they recommend now..........., but I'm with Bruce. Don't use NON-synthetic 10W-40.

Just change it every year before you winterize and store it.

Regards,

Rick

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Avoid Fram and Motomaster oil filters as they are known for being crap....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I use Sierra marine filters because they seem more corrosion resistant, but esp in freshwater an auto filter would be fine.
Oil, you can use straight 30 or 40, or Chevon/Shell/Pennzoil 15w/40 that are all rated for diesel and gas use
Or the Merc 25/40
Any of these will be more than adequate. The 15w/40 is probably the easiest to find.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... ALL of the Chevy based motors used in boats, Except the 4.3l use the exact same oil filters,....
The 2.5l,...
The 3.0l,...
The I-6s,...
The SBCs, 305, 'n 350,(or the 283s, 307s, 327s).... ALL use the same oil filter,....

Only the 4.3l requires a completely different filter,...
Block mounted filters of course, remote mount, all bets are off, although Mercs use the Chevy filters,....

Different numbers designate different lengths, hence different capacities,....
Longer filters hold more, but don't always fit in the space available,...

'n as for Oils,.....
Anything you can buy off the shelf at Wally World, that says Motor Oil on the bottle,... Won't hurt yer motor,.... ;)