383 Stroker swap into a 201 Liberator

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FYI - those are very pricey heads for a boat. good old cast iron vortec's my recommendation for a boat, especially for just cruising. plus, unless you have at least a half-system, a waste of money.

Bondo

Staff member
Aluminum performance heads (Power Pro) 200 runners, 64cc chamber ...what other info should I ask for?

Ayuh,.... What Pistons, 'n is the block decked to a quench of .043 to .045",.....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
HT32 what sized Lib did you put that BB in I have two worked Merc 454 I took outa a stinger with like no hrs so that was the first plan to use one of them to repower the boat wit but was talked out of it

Mine is a 1987 211 Liberator. I reiterated the whole mess in the thread below! Complete with pictures.......

I used a Bravo III but yours would probably run pretty nice with a Bravo I ..........As much as I like it, I'm probably going to sell the boat because I want a BIG Formula (with TWIN BBC/Bravo III's :rolleyes: )

Cheers,

Rick

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...utdrives/8581616-another-winterizing-question

Franzel311

Seaman
I had a 1988 SR272 Formula Thunderbird with twin 350mags I loved that boat more than life it's self I took that thing everywhere ...would have been even cooler with BB's

Franzel311

Seaman
Mine is a 1987 211 Liberator. I reiterated the whole mess in the thread below! Complete with pictures....... I used a Bravo III but yours would probably run pretty nice with a Bravo I ..........As much as I like it, I'm probably going to sell the boat because I want a BIG Formula (with TWIN BBC/Bravo III's :rolleyes: ) Cheers, Rick http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...utdrives/8581616-another-winterizing-question
Well I just read your thread so now back to my original question from the spring then...what do you think about me putting one of my BB's in the boat seeing that I already have the engines it would be a lot cheaper of a project but can that little boat handle the extra weight of the BB. My Lib would b considerable smaller than yours because of the molded swim platform

Franzel311

Seaman
Hey Scott I tried to read that link you gave about building the 383 my self and nothing comes up

Franzel311

Seaman
So I did some looking around and found that thread you were trying to send me to that was a realy good read and tons of info in it thanks for that

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Well I just read your thread so now back to my original question from the spring then...what do you think about me putting one of my BB's in the boat seeing that I already have the engines it would be a lot cheaper of a project but can that little boat handle the extra weight of the BB. My Lib would b considerable smaller than yours because of the molded swim platform

I would be willing to bet a 383 would push that boat to at least 60 mph. A cast iron big block would probably weigh less than 200lbs MORE a similarly equipped small block.

A good plan would of course be an all aluminum small block with aluminum manifolds and risers but you would absolutely need closed cooling. (that would be a couple hundred pounds less than a BB)

But if you think about it, the extra weight is probably no worse than having one more 200lb beer drinker on the boat!! I have unable to tell much difference in my boat with an extra 200lb person riding along.

Regardless of what you use, Get rid of the OMC stuff, part it out etc.........then get your hands on either a Volvo Penta SX or Duo-Prop drive or a Bravo I, III.

I would LOVE to put an all aluminum EFI http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12623967/overview/ with aluminum heads, manifolds risers etc in my Lib!!

Franzel311

Seaman
Haha yea It would be realy cool to built one of those motors and the lil Libby would be soooo frigen FUN!!! But that's not in my cards to do right not ...from what iv seen from looking around I think you could have ordered that boat with a big block so the stringers that the motor mounts bolt to must be wide enouf to bold that monster in right? Because when I look at the mounting point on the boat their isn't much room and isn't the BB mounting stance wider than the SB?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
from what iv seen from looking around I think you could have ordered that boat with a big block so the stringers that the motor mounts bolt to must be wide enouf to bold that monster in right? Because when I look at the mounting point on the boat their isn't much room and isn't the BB mounting stance wider than the SB?

The (87) 211 Liberator could be ordered with a 5.7L + Cobra, Mercruiser Alpha, or a 454 + Alpha or a 460 + King Cobra.

Mine had the 460.

My brother wanted the OMC 460 because it was rated at 340hp and the Mercruiser 454 was rated at 330hp. (like that would make a difference!!)

He even toyed with getting a 265 Liberator ( 26' + Twin 460's!) I guess I would have it now if he'd done that.......... (well maybe not!)

Bondo

Staff member
Haha yea It would be realy cool to built one of those motors and the lil Libby would be soooo frigen FUN!!! But that's not in my cards to do right not ...from what iv seen from looking around I think you could have ordered that boat with a big block so the stringers that the motor mounts bolt to must be wide enouf to bold that monster in right? Because when I look at the mounting point on the boat their isn't much room and isn't the BB mounting stance wider than the SB?

Ayuh,.... The BBC, 'n SBC are 'bout the same over-all foot print,.... both width, 'n length,...

The BBC is 'bout 150/ 200 lbs heavier,.....

tonybalony

Cadet
be sure what drive you have before you plan to scrap it,my 89 201 liberator has a 350 dog clutch cobra with 'king cobra'labelling all over it!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
be sure what drive you have before you plan to scrap it,my 89 201 liberator has a 350 dog clutch cobra with 'king cobra'labelling all over it!

Yeah. Mine was a Dog Clutch (King) Cobra.

The dog Clutch Cobras are a little easier to part out because there's more of them out there.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...l-block-chevy/ More than a few build ideal's and some great part price info. Cam well the nest time your on a 20' boat throttle up to 1500 rpm you will notice that's about 6mph maybe 7 now start building a pressure wave and you will find yourself about 1800 rpm. The comp 270 is a great cam but a 383 well the 276 would be my choice the 383 will dampen it a bit and idle quality is not at all choppy...Since your staying marine vortec's are the money performance head your 10 or under in compression and rev limited by cam and exhaust choice

Last edited: