OMC King Cobra Cone Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

boaters3cck

Cadet
OMCKing Cobra Cone Clutch- HELP!

Looking for someone with expertise to help me with OMC King Cobra Cone clutch drive. Boat year is 1995- my manual has a date of 1994, and in the margin it says 4.3 GL so I assume its this model. Engine is 4.3 V6. Drive appears to be unrepairable- cant open lower unit b/c at some point someone epoxied it together :( I have a few questions and need help with what to do next. Im researching this on my own and want to make this work- just need some expert guidance in repair, replacement or resources! Feel free to post, email, etc and I can give my phone number. Thanks so much!

boaters3cck

Cadet
Looking for someone with expertise to help me with OMC King Cobra Cone clutch drive. Boat year is 1995- my manual has a date of 1994, and in the margin it says 4.3 GL so I assume its this model. Engine is 4.3 V6. Drive appears to be unrepairable- cant open lower unit b/c at some point someone epoxied it together :( I have a few questions and need help with what to do next. Im researching this on my own and want to make this work- just need some expert guidance in repair, replacement or resources! Feel free to post, email, etc and I can give my phone number. Thanks so much

kelleyja

Seaman
Post your questions here. Someone will help you.

What's wrong with the drive? (other than the epoxy) Parts availability become a problem if its too far gone. Guys on here have done a transom back swap with a VP drive if you need to replace it.

boaters3cck

Cadet
My mechanic hasnt opened it up yet- because of the expoxy he is saying it would cost quite a few hours of labor just to open it up and tell us its broken. we started seeing gear oil come out of the drive so not really sure whats going on. He is hesitant to just replace the lower part (Ive seen quite a few reman. units online) if it could have contaminated the upper unit. I'd like to learn more about the drive b/c I dont want to put too much into it, but Im not ready to throw the towel in! Just spent $4000 getting the boat back in the water after 10 years. Everything was redone- expect of course the drive! Any help is appreciated b/c I am new to this and really want my kids to enjoy the boat!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Looking for someone with expertise to help me with OMC King Cobra Cone clutch drive. Boat year is 1995- my manual has a date of 1994, and in the margin it says 4.3 GL so I assume its this model. Engine is 4.3 V6.

Howdy,

There were 4 models in 1994 and only one model in 1995,

432APNCA 1996
432BPNCS 1996
434APNCA 1996
434BPNCS 1996
43FAPNCA 1996
43FBPNCS 1996

43APHUB 1995

432ACMMDA 1994
432ACPMDA 1994
432AGMMDA 1994
432AGPMDA 1994

so it's important to identify what you have. All of the above models had an engine driven raw water pump (Does yours?)

Once you ID what you have, you can also determine which models are compatible with the Volvo Penta SX.

You may be able to simply bolt an SX on the back of that gimbal mount.

If the drive is internally damaged you cannot simply replace the lower as the oil does indeed flow in both the "upper and lower"

If the drive is the Joint OMC/Volvo SX, most all parts are available. (NOT cheap, but available)

Regards,

Rick

boaters3cck

Cadet
rick- so happy for all the info you've given! Is there anyway to identify to what this is if there is no longer a tag on it? I cant find anything anywhere on the drive itself or the boat...I tried uploading some pics but cant get them to work on this site. I can email them though. . Also, do you think its necessary to go to a specialized drive mechanic shop to get the best outcome? dont know if they even exist....Thanks again- Im just a mom whose trying to get this thing up and running so my little guys can enjoy it!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
rick- so happy for all the info you've given! Is there anyway to identify to what this is if there is no longer a tag on it? I cant find anything anywhere on the drive itself or the boat...I tried uploading some pics but cant get them to work on this site. I can email them though. . Also, do you think its necessary to go to a specialized drive mechanic shop to get the best outcome? dont know if they even exist....Thanks again- Im just a mom whose trying to get this thing up and running so my little guys can enjoy it!

The engine/drive package model number is usually on the engine. Understand that unless you're the original owner, the engine and/or drive could have been changed more than once in the last 20 years or so!

There'll be model numbers on the drive but I cannot tell you where you would find them. You might need to find a dealer that maybe sell/services Volvo Penta powered boats.

Also, it might be better if this thread was moved into the Volvo Penta forum since people who 'know" Volvos, would know exactly which years of the OMC drives were the "Joint" OMC/Volvo models.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The epoxy is a pain.
I've found that a hot wrench (torch)will make quick work of the epoxy.
Just don't over do it.

boaters3cck

Cadet
No Title

Here are pics of the drive from my orginial post....thanks!

Attachments

• photo209071.jpg
    photo209071.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo209072.jpg
    photo209072.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo209073.jpg
    photo209073.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo209074.jpg
    photo209074.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1

Franzel311

Seaman
Here's an option SEI makes a bracket that you can convert an OMC drive to a merc alph one drive and those drives are everywhere and cheap to buy and cheap to fix ...maybe they have a bracket for your housing style ......Good luck

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Here's an option SEI makes a bracket that you can convert an OMC drive to a merc alph one drive and those drives are everywhere and cheap to buy and cheap to fix ...maybe they have a bracket for your housing style ......Good luck

Howdy,

That option only works with the older Dog-Clutch Cobras. Unfortunately, They didn't make a kit that covers the Interim or SX drives.

Franzel311

Seaman
Hey thanks for that info I was wondering y some one else didn't mention that to her now I know y....next time I'll do alil more research b4 I open my big mouth...

boaters3cck

Cadet
No worries! What do you think of converting it to a Bravo 1 unit? A couple of places I called said this could be a possibility- but I might have to" change how it bolts onto the transom assembly". Once I get all my options, looks like I will just have to put them all down on paper and see what makes sense!

Franzel311

Seaman
You will have to change everything I'm accualy In the middle of thinking if I should do the same upgrade to my liberator...it would be a very costly project if you bought all the parts best way would b to find a wrecked or blown up boat with a good transome assembly and drive but this is still a costly job because you have to buy another boat and if you can't do the work your self now you need a marine mechanic and a good one at that!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Which is essentially what she has. Will just bolt on.

(I was trying to be facetious!!)

But all kidd'n aside, I have heard that the SX will not bolt to the interim gimbal mount. If it is indeed a 1995 (or 94 & 1/2) model, it's likely an SX and I would absolutely be finding an SX or maybe a DPS to replace it.

If it's a 1994 (not 94.5) model and is NOT the SX (I.E. PRE-SX Cone) it may not fit without modification.... (or at all)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have actually seen Volvo SX labeled drives mated to Cobra transoms at the rental places up in Tahoe but they may have both been the 95 era drives. Would definitely call the places that sell these used and rebuilt drives to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.