OMC Cobra 3.0L 1990 - How much gearcase oil?

blokade

Recruit
Hi, I'm trying to change the gearcase oil for the first time on my "new" 1990 OMC Cobra 3.0L. When I drained the used oil, less than 2 quarts came out. I've already put in 2 quarts and still don't see any oil touching the dipstick. Can someone confirm how much oil does the gearcase take? Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Not sure the exact amount but it's a bunch.
You filling from the side or bottom?
These need to be filled from the side hole.
If not there is a passage that won't fill and once you start the motor the drive will be about a quart low and it will burn up.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

Cobras hold from approx 64 oz-108oz depending on the model.

Yours should be "around" 64 oz, filled from the "fill" port until "Full' on the dipstick when the dipstick is resting on the threads.

This allows for a slight "over-fill" when you replace the fluid after draining. Then you run the drive a bit and and then wait a while to allow any air bubbles to rise to the top. Then check the level with the dipstick screwed all the way in.

Subsequent level checks are accomplished with the dip-stick threaded all the way IN.

DO NOT fill from the bottom (drain) port. (Yes, I know that some suggest a different way http://www.sterndrive.info/id270.html And it evidently works just fine)

BUT, you won't go wrong filling the drive IAW the OEM OMC service manual.

Regards,

Rick