82 Grady White Re-Power or Not

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All

It’s been a while since I’ve been on this forum and over the years I’ve gotten some great advice. My previous boats have all been Outboards so this is my first I\O.

I just picked up a 1982 Grady White Chesapeake 212 with an OMC 140 hp I\O. It’s been sitting since 1996 and the engine and outdrive look like it. The boat cleaned up real nice after pressure washing. So far what I see is a cracked exhaust manifold and the crank case oil is gray. I haven’t checked any of the outdrive fluids yet. It has True Course steering and Power Trim. Engine ID: 140STHRCIS Outdrive ID: 982565.

So here’s my questions.
  1. Is it better to rebuild what I’ve got or do a total re-power
  2. If I re-power is it better to stick with OMC or go MerCruiser

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
OMC is no longer in business.
Yes the replacing with the Mercruiser would be the way to go.
BUT!!! The transom would need to be filled in and re-glassed and then install the drive.
A lot of work. Probably not gonna be cheap.
There are a lot of older OMCs still out there and used stuff is still available.
The outdrive is a sealed unit and "maybe" it's still good.
Despite a bad history some of the drives managed to still work fairly good.
Have a mechanic look it over.
Replace with a short block and manifold?

southkogs

Staff member
+1 If you got it cheap enough and are comfortable working on engines and drives, fix up what's in it. However, if it's a lot of time and investment to make it go you may do well to look at grabbing a boat with a Merc in it now. Jerry's right, the old OMCs ain't all bad ... but you wind up being your own mechanic and doing some hunting for parts.

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Guys I'll start looking at pulling the engine. I paid 400 for the boat so it's worth sinking some money into it. I'm pretty comfortable turning wrenches and in the early 80s worked at a boat shop so I remember a little about doing fiberglass work. The boat shop was an Evinrude dealer so we only worked on outboards.

If the outdrive checks out can I replace the engine with one out of a car

Last edited:

ciera

Cadet
If using a car engine the cam would have to be changed and headgaskets need to be marine if used in salt water
I would rip the car engine down and check over real well before installing also need brass freeze plugs and all marine externals alternator starter etc.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Just put it in and use it.
The difference in the cam isn't that much.
The freeze plugs need to be change only if your running in salt water.
Southern Maryland, you'll need to change, unless you have fresh water cooling.

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
I started looking at the outdrive yesterday. The drive was tilted up and I could see both sides of the ball gears look good. I couldn’t get the tilt motor to engage so I pulled the quadrant gear to get it down. The control leaver moves normally from neutral to forward and reverse. In neutral the prop spins free. In forward and reverse the prop engages. The lower unit lube is clear, no signs of water.

What else do I need to look at to check out the outdrive?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The 140hp 3.0 was never in an automotive application.

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can I use a 231 V6 to replace the 3.0? If so what else do I need to replace?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
seems I've heard about bad transoms in Grady's regardless of brand in a 30 year old boat that could be an isue.. If that is the case, the repower at the same time to a mercruiser.

Bondo

Staff member
Can I use a 231 V6 to replace the 3.0? If so what else do I need to replace?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Whatever motor you use, needs to be fully dressed in OMC Marine manifolds, induction, 'n ignition,....

Usin' anything but another 2.5l/ 3.0l marine motor, will require regearin' the drive,...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Is it better to rebuild what ha€™ve got or do a total re-power

If I re-power is it better to stick with OMC or go MerCruiser

If you don't want to get another 3.0L engine (and that one pressure checks "bad" ), your next best bet would be to find a donor boat with at least a 4.3L V-6 and Mercruiser Alpha (GEN-II) drive and replace the entire setup. My choice would be a 5.0/5.7L V-8 + proper ratio drive.

140hp is going to be a real dog in a 21' boat.

That is a "stringer" too........... meaning that your transom may not be thick enough for a conventional sterndrive or rotten, the floor and stringers may be rotten so you might want to ensure the boat is structurally sound before you waste any money on it...........

If you decide to just rebuild/replace the engine, you can bet long block 3.0L engines but if your current block is cracked, the core charge will be higher. There are places that can "repair" a cracked block but it's not cheap.

As someone indicated earlier, you will not likely find a "wrecking-yard" 3.0L engine unless you find one in an old forklift or generator etc.

If a 140 3.0L is a dog in a 21' boat, a 2.5L engine is going to be dismal!!

Last edited:

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
The previous owner did say he thought it was a little under powered. What HP should I be looking for? The Max Capacity and HP plate is to faded to read Max HP. The Boston Whaler Outrage 19 I had was powered with a 150 Merc Outboard. By the online specs this Grady is about 500 lbs lighter, Whaler at 3200 lbs Grady at 2800 lbs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I/O boats do not have the HP limit that outboard boats do.

since you would have to rebuild the transom anyway to put in a smaller transom cutout, I would look for a 4.3 liter complete carb to prop.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The previous owner did say he thought it was a little under powered. What HP should I be looking for? The Max Capacity and HP plate is to faded to read Max HP. The Boston Whaler Outrage 19 I had was powered with a 150 Merc Outboard. By the online specs this Grady is about 500 lbs lighter, Whaler at 3200 lbs Grady at 2800 lbs.

My previous boat (sold in 2005) was a 66 MarkTwain 18'.........My dad bought it new. When he ordered it he had a choice of engines that ranged from the 120hp 4-cyl + Mercruiser #1 drive up to the 409 V-8(310hp) + Mercruiser #2 drive. (the transom placard indicated max hp 310)

I have a 1987 21ft Four Winns "Liberator 211"...... according to FW, it weighs 2900 lbs (no engine/drive)

It came with an OMG 460 King Kobra that I removed and replaced with a 1997 Mercruiser 454/Bravo. (the boat was also available with a 5.7L V-8 OMC or Mercruiser)

Your boat would perform respectably with a small block V-8 + drive and you could keep the Stringer type drive and go to a V-8 but you would have to either re-gear yours or replace it. (the drive ratio behind any 4-cyl engine is WAY to low to use with a V-8)

Going to a Mercruiser, Volvo or Cobra would require rebuilding/replacing the transom and rebuilding the stringers if needed (if they were rotten etc)

All of the above is usually not worth it in a $400 (or even free) boat unless it has sentimental or vintage value!

Good luck.......

Rick

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
What do you think about re-powering with a 200 or higher outboard? After looking around on eBay for a bit I think I can re-power this way for under $2000 and the boat is worth that much to me. I can patch the hole from the outdrive and add gussets from the stringers to the transom for support. I’m way more familiar with outboards then I/Os and the extra floor space from removing the engine cover would be a big plus