Just bought a 1978 glastron with v195 omc Tilt problem Please Help.

Hi I just purchased a 78 glastron and it has the sticker on the boat for v195 and the motor is a 185 omc. When I bought it he said that the tilt would go down but not up and when he showed it to me it didnt work either way up or down. I hit the switch and the sylinoid clicks but nothing. I can see the tilt motor and it looks new I thought it might be voltage so I checked fuses and they are all good and I pulled up my suv and hooked a wire directly to the green wire and the blue wire and nothing. the guy showed me how to drop the motor manually by pulling out the three bolts and worm gear. where do i go from here??????

So I just pulled the screw out of the bottom of the clutch pack for oil and a little water came out of it. How do i do the clutch pack? i see the four screws but when I pull that plate off is the parts just going to fall out?

superbenk

Commander
Your solenoid so might be bad or you may have bad connections somewhere. Nothing will fall out if you take the clutch housing cover off. It's possible the worm gear shaft has broken where it couples to the tilt motor. I had that problem and was a pretty easy fix with a new $12 shaft & a Solec manual.

Last edited:
Thanks superbenk new to the whole inboard thing I checked with a voltage meter all the way back and got the signal at the pump but hear nothing from the pump at all. How do I see if the coupler to the motor?

southkogs

Staff member
That's not a pump, it's a motor and it's all mechanics to the tilt gear. If you're getting good power out of the solenoid, support the drive and remove your quadrant gear from the drive itself. hit the tilt switch and see if the clutch gear moves. If not, I'd pull your motor and have it rebuilt.

Inside the tilt assembly, there is a hammer coupler and a worm gear. That hammer coupler and spring will wanna' jump out when you remove the motor, so be very careful. The motor itself is held together by the bolts/screws that hold it to the intermediate housing, so again be careful as it'll wanna' come apart on you.

As Ben said - get a manual. 'Yer gonna' want one.

ok ordering manual and I did realize it was a motor last night and it looks new. do I go in from the clutch pack first to get the motor out or do I just remove the bolts that I can barely get to inside the stern side of boat under motor and pull it out

how do I support the drive and remove the quadrant gear? Do I go into the clutch pack. and just letting you guys know my motor is in the up position

So I havnt oened the clutch pack cover yet because my motor is up. is it ok or is this thing just going to fall. How can I put it down? pull out worm gear???

southkogs

Staff member
I would just check the clutch pack and make sure it's got lube in it. Otherwise, I wouldn't open it for the moment.

To support the drive, you either need to tie it up to a fixed point that will hold it in the air or support it from the ground by a stand/box/sawhorse/whatever will fit. From there you can remove the quadrant gear.

The motor detaches from inside. You don't need to do anything from the outside.

I would leave the worm gear put for the moment too. I've kinda' tested mine out by putting a flat screwdriver into the groove and turning the gear to see if the clutch gear moves.

Ok I looked online and found a few pics so ill support the motor and take quadrant gear out. then ill hit the tilt and see if it moves. if it doesnt is it the motor and how do i get it out exactly is it the two bolts long that go through the entire motor? and how to go about install would be great thanks

southkogs

Staff member
No guarantees it's the motor, but that's a likely/typical suspect.

Correct, the two main bolts holding the thing on go entirely through the tilt motor and they hold the motor together. SO ... expect the motor to want to sort of fall apart, and the hammer coupler to want to fall out into the bilge. You don't want to have to replace any of the stuff inside the assembly so go slow and careful.

Install will be just the reverse (I use tape to hold the motor together until I get it put in).

Ok this is all starting to make sense the motor has elecrical tape all over it . so when I pull the motor will the stern drop? Do I need to drop the stern before taking out the motor.

well I pulled out the worm gear and it looks good I didn't pull out the entire rod but I saw both pins there and slid it back in. going boating tomorrow and when I get back I am pulling out the tilt motor

Ok I pulled everything out and it all looks good. It has to be the motor. should I order one or rebuild?

southkogs

Staff member
I'd call a couple of auto parts shops - look for someone who rebuilds alternators and such. That's how I found mine here Nashville.