my 89 omc 5.7L with cobra drive wouldnt go back into nuetral. it was stuck in drive.

mmhyson

Seaman
I had my boat out today its an 1989 donzi with omc 5.7 and cobra drive she runs perfect I left the dock and was cruising around when I got to my destination I couldn't put the boat in neutral. I dropped anchor and let boat sit for a n hour or so and when I started it back up everything was fine

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Your ESA (Electronic Shift Assist) system is probably not working due to misadjusted or failing lower shift cable, or an electrical issue with it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you can run the engine on land try activating the ESA by lifting the lever that is moved by the shift linkage. If its idling at 600, activating it should momentarily drop it down to about 300 rpm. If it does not do this then you have to troubleshoot the ESA. If this works, then the drive has to come off and the cable may need to be replaced. The bellcrank in the pivot housing can get deposits behind it and that can also cause sticky shifting.

mmhyson

Seaman
thanks for the help I will check it and perform that test Saturday. if the ESA is bad are parts still avalible for it?

mmhyson

Seaman

I moved the metal lever and it didn't do anything but the boat did shift fine. is that the lever I am suppose to move to have the rpms drop?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

#62 (below) is the ESA. It's a collection of electronic components potted in epoxy which will "stumble" the engine when you come out of gear.

#37 is the "Shift Actuator", it moves when you place either push or pull "pressure" on the lower shift cable (using your throttle/shifter).

When in the water in gear, there's enough "pressure" to cause the shift actuator to move and operate the microswitches associated with it when you try to shift from FWD or REV to Neutral.

If it also moves enough to actuate the ESA when going into gear it's possible that your lower shift cable is defective (and is binding). If it's is moving when it should and the ESA is NOT working, the module, switches, or wiring could be defective. If the Shift actuator is frozen, or and not moving that could cause it too. That's why they suggested moving it (by hand)

Cobra_zpsb7d41eef.jpg