Shredded Impeller ... found in the lower unit?!?

atyoung8

Recruit
Last weekend we were out on our 1994 Four Winns I/O OMC Cobra when it started overheating... I cut off the engine as soon as I noticed and was towed in to the dock. I finally got around to looking at it this evening, and as I'd assumed, the impeller was completely shredded. Trying to find the pieces, I removed all of the hoses to and from the thermostat housing, water pump and exhaust and did not find any of the missing pieces. I then checked the water intake in the lower unit to see if it was free and clear and... much to my surprise... there are pieces of the impeller?!

After browsing some boards, I'm assuming my only option is to remove the outdrive and then the lower unit to access this area. Looking for tips/advice/suggestions/experience.

THANKS!
sc1.jpg sc4.jpg cobra.jpg

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

Well, that's a strange place for impeller fragments to go since that area has suction on it under "normal" circumstances.

In anycase, you would probably have to separate the upper from the lower to access the suction side of the raw water pump.

I finally got around to looking at it this evening, and as I'd assumed, the impeller was completely shredded.
Did you remove the raw water pump and housing? what did it look like?

It seems strange that any very large impeller fragments could even get into the suction side since there's a housing and "cage" around that impeller but if the pieces were small enough and positioned just right I suppose they might "fall" that way as the water dropped back out into the pickup area.

You definitely want get all the pieces removed or they'll just go someplace you don't want them to when you get it back together!

Regards,

Rick