1996 OMC 5.0 Ford EFI - No Start

Turbo-Duck

Cadet
Hi all,

Working an a '96 Sunbird - 5.0 Ford EFI. motor cranks, but no start. No spark, or fuel pump activity. Found a bad breaker, (the 12.5 A one) but that one appears to only feed the Alternator. Tested fuel pumps manually, and they both run ok. All other breakers have power on both sides. Fuses check ok. Not sure what else to check...???

The only diagram I have so far is the one posted on here that lists a '93 OMC 5.8. Very similar, but I'm seeing some differences.

Does anyone have a complete diagram for the '96 5.0?

-Gary

Last edited:

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
You have an OMC/ Volvo Penta dual partnership drive. That's really good news. Here is a link to a service manual for your fuel injected Ford 5.0 (302). I'm assuming you don't know this, by posting in the OMC forum.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/nc-ford_mfi.html#/0

Everything about your engine, transom assemby, drive (SX), titl/trim system, is all identical to Volvo Penta's of that year. NC was model year 95/96 so the link I posted should cover your engine. If you look at the stickers on your engine you should have a NC somewhere in the model to designate which series you have.

My engine is a 95 Ford and my model number is 50APHUE, which is an HU series. The Ford engines didn't change much, and 96 was some of the last ones for marine use.

The really good news is that you don't have the obsolete Cobra drive with the dog clutch that is hard to adjust. Instead you have a SX drive, that is basically the same as Volvo is still making today.

Turbo-Duck

Cadet
Thanks for the link and info. That should help immensely. :joyous::joyous:

From what I read, I figured it was a Volvo drive (Thankfully...) But since everything on it says OMC, I thought I'd start here.

Thanks again, hopefully I can get it sucking fuel this weekend.

-Gary

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Of course there is bad news in that you have the Ford with the Ford ignition and EFI with parts that are NLA.

The worst thing that may happen down the road is you switch to a new distributor and to a carb.

Last edited:

Turbo-Duck

Cadet
Sold the boat, but stayed in touch with the new owner. Turned out to be the ignition switch... Duh...