Exhaust manifold cleaning.

Chief123

Seaman
86 4.3 Cobra with new long block going back in.
Although they are the original ones I'm still planning on using. The prices on the upgrade ones are outrageous--but what's not on a boat?
So, is it worth while to take the manifolds to a radiator shop or machine shop to have cleaned out?

Tks

Bondo

Staff member
86 4.3 Cobra with new long block going back in.
Although they are the original ones I'm still planning on using. The prices on the upgrade ones are outrageous--but what's not on a boat?
So, is it worth while to take the manifolds to a radiator shop or machine shop to have cleaned out?

Tks

Ayuh,..... Are they the 1 piece manifolds, or manifolds, 'n risers,..??

If they are the 1 piece, throw them Away, into the scrap pile,.....

Chief123

Seaman
Ayuh,..... Are they the 1 piece manifolds, or manifolds, 'n risers,..??

If they are the 1 piece, throw them Away, into the scrap pile,.....

What after market ones do you like? I have found new one from GLM--but also found some negative post about GLM products.

I've heard nothing but bad things about GLM, but have had great first hand experience with Osco/Barr Marine manifolds and risers.

Sierras are supposed to be fine, but are a bit too costly compared to OEM stuff.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
is it worth while to take the manifolds to a radiator shop or machine shop to have cleaned out?

Tks
In a word, NO.

I wouldn't put used exhaust manifolds (that "needed cleaning") on a "new" engine and I wouldn't put single piece manifolds on any engine.

The prices on the upgrade ones are outrageous
MORE "outrageous" than new engine?

Chief123

Seaman
In a word, NO.

I wouldn't put used exhaust manifolds (that "needed cleaning") on a "new" engine and I wouldn't put single piece manifolds on any engine.

MORE "outrageous" than new engine?

As I said, original ones so yes they are the single piece type. I am looking for upgrade one--I found GLC ones that are the 2 piece type--so thought I would also ask abut them!
I'll ck Barr and Osco next.

Bondo

Staff member
As I said, original ones so yes they are the single piece type. I am looking for upgrade one--I found GLC ones that are the 2 piece type--so thought I would also ask abut them!
I'll ck Barr and Osco next.

Ayuh,.... I'm runnin' GLM manifolds,....

They wouldn't hold a riser gasket til I had 'em re-machined Flat,......
While I was at it, I ground the "GLM" off the sides,...

Bondo

Staff member
Originally posted by Bondo
While I was at it, I ground the "GLM" off the sides,...

Now that's making a STATEMENT!:thumb::thumb:

Ayuh,..... I thought it was sheepishly hidin' the fact that I'm a Cheap ole B#%#&!d,....... :D
Who can get 1 more lap outa 'bout anythin' broke-down,.... ;)

I bought 'em on ebay, from KaGee,..... Remember 'im,..?? from Ohio I think,....

Last edited:

Chief123

Seaman
Tks all. Also,I went ahead and bought them . They are still in box. Going to make a short drive and pick them up Tuesday. I have so much still to do on his boat I have to make every dollar count--Yes, I no cheaper is not always smarter --however I've sided with Bondo on this. Well not the part about removing the GLM, I could care less. I'll make sure the surfaces are checked before I install. Once I get them on and checked out I'll report back and take my lumps if I was wrong. However, it will not be anytime soon. Still need to get everything back on the new long block. Also have removed all of the flooring and have most of the new wood cut to size. I'll then be getting the new floor and all secured and fiber glassed in and sealed. For my top coat, I'm going to use a marine grade material that is similar to the truck liner stuff--just more durable.
Again Thanks all

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'll make sure the surfaces are checked before I install. Once I get them on and checked out I'll report back and take my lumps if I was wrong. However, it will not be anytime soon. Still need to get everything back on the new long block.......................................
Also have removed all of the flooring and have most of the new wood cut to size. I'll then be getting the new floor and all secured and fiber glassed in and sealed. For my top coat, I'm going to use a marine grade material that is similar to the truck liner stuff--just more durable.
Again Thanks all

Well, maybe GLM has cleaned up their act!! Let us know!!

Since you're repairing/replacing a rotten floor, be sure you also check the engine mount stringers and transom for rot. If you get movement after alignment, you'll be pulling the engine again to replace the coupler!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I keep hearing how bad the one piece units were, but I used 3 sets over many years of salt water boating, much more severe conditions than any fresh water boaters face and I NEVER once had any problems with them. The originals were 14 years old (they started in freshwater, and wound up in salt), the 2nd set I ran 6 years and the third has 3 on them. Never a hydrolock, never water in the oil. NO gasket to fail between the riser and manifold.
If I was putting a new set of manifolds on now, I'd like to see if I could adapt the Merc dry joint system to this engine. Its one of their better ideas....

Chief123

Seaman
Oh, I thought of using my original ones -- however , the block was cracked in the valley on both sides. Being u have know way to assure they are not cracked--other than maybe a NDI check--which is not cost effective. I'LL give the GLM a try and eat the crow if they fail prematurely!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Ayuh,..... I thought it was sheepishly hidin' the fact that I'm a Cheap ole B#%#&!d,....... :D
Who can get 1 more lap outa 'bout anythin' broke-down,.... ;)

I bought 'em on ebay, from KaGee,..... Remember 'im,..?? from Ohio I think,....

yes, he was in Toledo. I met him once. Nice guy. The GLM's wouldn't clear the trim rams on his stringer 3.8. Gotta be about 10 years ago.
Don't ask me what I did yesterday.

Bondo

Staff member
I keep hearing how bad the one piece units were, but I used 3 sets over many years of salt water boating, much more severe conditions than any fresh water boaters face and I NEVER once had any problems with them. The originals were 14 years old (they started in freshwater, and wound up in salt), the 2nd set I ran 6 years and the third has 3 on them. Never a hydrolock, never water in the oil. NO gasket to fail between the riser and manifold.
If I was putting a new set of manifolds on now, I'd like to see if I could adapt the Merc dry joint system to this engine. Its one of their better ideas....

Ayuh,.... I guess you just plain ole been Lucky all these years Lou,....

The problem was core-shiftin' durin' the castin' process, 'n thin walls in places,....
They can just all of a sudden dump water into the motor, hydro-lockin', 'n bendin' rods,...

I personally know 3 times they destroyed 4.3l motors by runnin' 'em,....
2 of which were the same guy, 1 set of OMC, 'n then rebuilt his motor, 'n used a set of Merc batwings, 'n Blew that motor,...
He's now on the 3rd motor, 'n GLM manifold/ risers,...
All in the Sweetwater seas,.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And to add to this, last year I had a bad overheat. The little hose from the transom mount to the PS cooler just popped off. Filled the bilge up with salt water faster than you can say oh SH!T....Got to a safe area, called Tow Boat US. Could not see where the water was coming in at the time. Thought was the bellow at first but when I shut the engine down, water quit coming in so then it m made sense. Anyway I keep an IR temp gun on the boat to keep tabs on temps. While waiting for the tow, I took a reading of the manifolds.....375*....and....they did not crack!!! Tested them by filling with acetone...fine...used the rest of last year and this year...still fine....