Taking on Water - New to Me - 1986 SeaSwirl 18' Bowrider - OMC 4.3L V6 'Stringer' ?

Way2cool

Cadet
Using correct outdrive terminology? 'Stringer' ? Picked that up reading 10k posts here..

So... I'm taking on water at the launch ramp.. engine off.. outdirve up/down/left/right makes no difference.. not that I noticed anyway.
I cant really tell for sure where it's coming from other than it appears to be dripping 'down' from approximately what would be centerline. Everything's so tightly fitted back there.. engine, risers, cab es, and all that.. it's difficult to get in there to see anything.

With one eye I can see the fresh water dripping down from what appears to be the Bell Housing.. but that may just be what it's dripping from and not the source. I went out there today with my camera snooping around and found a crack at the bottom of the OMC 909527A Transom Seal (photo attached) ..

I suppose I'll seal that hole off and dip the boat in the water again to see if it's still leaking or 'found the leak', or is there something else to do to diagnose the leak?

New to Me - 1986 SeaSwirl 18' Bowrider - OMC 4.3L V6 'Stringer' ?
IMG_20140729_174822 (Small).jpg IMG_1573 (Small).JPG IMG_1581 (Small).JPG IMG_1580 (Small).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20140729_174841 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20140729_174841 (Small).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
yep that transom seal is done. might be more than one tear in it. they can split around the big lip where the long hose clamp clamps it to the intermediate.

Way2cool

Cadet
Thanks.. ..

Am I correctly referring tho this outdrive as Stringer & .. is there a technical reason for that term?
I'm asking 'cause using certain keywords provide more specific search results, both here and for parts.

Also, I see some folks referring to their OMC outdrive by number.. like 3.0 etc.. mine has a V6 sticker on it.. I was assuming the V6 represented the engine type 'cause it doesn't seem to help as a keyword.. is mine called a V6? or is there somewhere I can look to see it's model #?

Staying on topic.. :)
Is that Transom Seal replacement a one person job? I see them all over for around $100.. are some better than others?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Get the transom seal from BRP (Evinrude dealer) for around $145 to $160. Don't save $50 buying aftermarket stuff for a 5 year? seal instead of a 25 year seal.
0909527 SEAL is the full part number. Unfortunately iboats is not an Evinrude dealer, but there should be one in your town and there are several online like marineengine dot com
Yes it's a "Stringer", but proper model of your drive is a 800 Series OMC Sterndrive.
The seal is the same for 400 and 800 series from 1978 through 1985 (even though your boat is an 86, the last year of the 800 series was really 1985 - they went in some 1986 boats though)

As far as install - by the book is a big job, but there's a cheat where folks take the propeller, trim fin, water director ears off and use a lot of hot soapy water to sneak the seal carefully over the outdrive without having to remove the outdrive and disturb the aged $700 shift cable.

V6 is referring to the engine, but the drive is an 800 which usually denotes it's ability to withstand V8 power.

Last edited:

fincastle

Cadet
That is a stringer outdrive. Yours is the 800 model. It is called a stringer because power is transferred to the stringers of the boat instead of the transom. Most will recommend the oem seal over aftermarket. It can be a one person job, several have done it leaving the drive on, removing the prop and carefully working the seal over the drive.

Way2cool

Cadet
Excellent !!

Thanks Guys..

I just learned somewhere else 'stringer' is referring to the Trim being controlled on the Stringers and Front engine mounts. Lifting and lowering the front of the engine controlling the trim angle.. Which unfortunately will be the subject of my next post :(

Thanks again!!

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My transom seal had a few small cracks, i had just been using some marine silicone and a tire patch on one. While my drive was off I replaced the seal, holy smokes there was a 3" tear I didnt even know about. Best to just get a new one!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just learned somewhere else 'stringer' is referring to the Trim being controlled on the Stringers and Front engine mounts. Lifting and lowering the front of the engine controlling the trim angle.
Actually, stringer means the drive is directly connected to the engine and the whole unit is supported by the stringers. Merc, Volvo, and OMC Cobra drives are supported by the transom.

Read this:
http://www.glmmarine.com/30yearsomc.html

Way2cool

Cadet
Well.. my new 0909527 just arrived.. got a super deal on it from an up-n-coming ebay shop boatparts410 .. super nice people.
I'm excited and nervous at the same time.. my kids are all moved away long ago so it's just me here.

Been reading all the posts here.. remove the prop, clean everything well, good time to repaint the metal retainer ring, don't lose any screws & use the same ones not new SS ones, dab of sealer on the screw holes?, hot soapy water to aid stretching the new seal over the out-drive.. warm day wouldn't hurt either.

I'm also reading different opinions on a sealer to use.. so I haven't got any yet.. some say silicone lasts forever, other say BS silicone breaks loose quickly, one guy recommends Home Depot super adhesives.. others say don't use anything the rubber seals itself.. I do see a bit of old sealer on there now. The transom's in great shape.. we'll see more as the screws come out.

Is there anything else I should do as far as maintenance goes once I get the Transom Seal removed ?
I do have a Stringer Trim Piston leak to deal with later.. but that's unrelated right?

IMG_20140829_184414 (Small).jpg IMG_20140829_184351 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

jareddustin

Recruit
way2cool... im about to do the same thing. how did yours turn out? did you use the hot soapy water thing or take the whole out drive off? any silicone?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
way2cool... im about to do the same thing. how did yours turn out? did you use the hot soapy water thing or take the whole out drive off? any silicone?

Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a thread of your own. This one is inactive. Thanks.