Tilt problom

fedexguy99

Cadet
Boat question I got glastron 1983 OMC Stern Drive 3.0 L 302STHRCTR Stern Drive my tilt is not working Good or some time doesn't want to go up at all just clicking noise Here is the list of things I have done Brand new tilt motor Check all the power source and clean Clutch pack looks great Brand new battery Took off half moon quadrant and stern moving up And down by hand freely All selinod working full power And new tilt warm shaft Hammer blow coupler looks great What else can I check Should I change clutch shaft bushing? Thank you hope to hear from someone soon

southkogs

Staff member
If you support the drive, remove the quadrant gear and then hit the tilt; does it consistently rotate the tilt gear or still intermittent?

southkogs

Staff member
I'm leaning toward something being whacked in your clutch pack. But I've never taken mine apart, so I'm not terribly familiar with 'em.

fedexguy99

Cadet
We'll today I cleaned everything up and change all the gaskets and torque all the bolts to specs (motor,tilt cover and shaft cover ) Filled it up with lots of grease worked fine for few times and start to hesitant some times. Clutch pack visually looks great no binding marks etc so I don't know if I should take it apart or not doesn't seems that hard but I thought Clutch pack was only there if u hit an object to protect yup lower unit?

fedexguy99

Cadet
3 years but I stored the boat did not take out and boat was stored indoors Marine mechanic suspects tilt motor I took the motor out and took it to place I bought it From they did Load test and it was perfect...

Snivley

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Fedexguy,
I have pulled mine apart a few times. I just started having the same issue. Coupling is fine, new motor, clutch pack is fine. Then for no other reason than to clean it I pulled the worm drive gear off the shaft. I have always been hesitant to pull the retaining ring because I was afraid to later loose it because I messed with it. But as soon as I did the problem was evident. The freaking little pin that holds it in place had shattered. It was not lodged directly at the drive, so I was able to turn it without weight. With the motor on it it would bind. Pieces were spread over the drive so it must have been coming apart for some time. I happen to have an extra one laying around from a donor so I put that one on, and I believe that will fix my problem. Perhaps it might be the case for you as well. It is truthfully not something I would have ever looked at in trouble shooting since it is not a moving part.

Snivley

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

This is what you would need to look at if it is a Spirol pin. The worm in the shaft pulled back to show the pin. The 2 pictures are of the gear out of the boat. The shaft I have has 2 holes for the pins. Not sure why 2, but it does. the pin had sheared off in the hole and was caught between that gear and the larger worm gear. Hope these help.

Attachments

• photo207315.JPG
    photo207315.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo207316.JPG
    photo207316.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo207317.JPG
    photo207317.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 0

fedexguy99

Cadet
Oh ok I just changed the shaft and pins 2weeks ago and worm gear is in good shape I don't know if I should take apart clutch pack Or not looks like in good shape It's workin now but hesitates and goes up little by little

I am going through the same issue I am going to go into the clutch pack and see whats going on but I think mine is the tilt motor. How did you support your drive up while hitting the tilt to see if there is movement?

southkogs

Staff member
... I thought Clutch pack was only there if u hit an object to protect yup lower unit?
I think that's right, but unfortunately in this over engineered tilt system it's in the line of just gettin' the drive up and down too. On the plus side, it does let the drive tilt WAY up and it holds it pretty strongly.

I wish I'd taken a clutch pack apart before, but i haven't. I'm not a lot of help there.

If you support the drive, and turn the worm gear shaft with a screwdriver does the gear on the clutch pack move? (It won't be moving a lot or fast)

fedexguy99

Cadet
I supported the drive with the rope I took everything apart again completely and left in 30 oil for whole nite than packed whole casing with good grease Seems like it's working But still sometime habitats

southkogs

Staff member
So, the motor will turn the gear, but it's hesitating at times? Like the gears are binding?

southkogs

Staff member
Which 7 bolts?

I think you're right ... it sounds like it's in the clutch pack somewhere.