OMC Cobra - Stripped gear in Forward under load

dougg33

Recruit
Good afternoon everyone!
I'm new to this forum, but have scoured it for the past couple of days looking for information re: solutions to problems with my 1987 Bayliner Capri 1950 with a 5.0L OMC/Cobra I/O Outdrive. I can't believe all the great information available here...Thank you all. That being said, I still have a question that I'm guessing one or many of you can help with. I've owned my boat since 2006 and it's always been difficult to shift (I wish I had come to this forum 8 years ago!). A couple of years ago, the gears started to occasionally slip/strip in forward under load (trying to pull up a skier). It never happened without a skier, just under extra load, and even then only occasionally. Our mechanic (who, given the fact that he didn't adjust/replace my shift cable when I complained about difficult shifting, must not know a lot about OMCs) said that I'd eventually need a new lower unit and that I could just continue to use it until it went out. So...That's what we did. It progressively got worse (i.e. it started to slip more frequently and under less load) and now this past weekend it's finally really bad. Reverse seems fine (although I'm not pulling anyone up in reverse) and forward with no load is still OK...but now the slightest load (like pulling my 60 pound son up on a wakeboard) causes it to slip/strip. The engine revs and we start to move forward, then a stripping/grinding sound, we stop moving and the engine revs (no load) so I put it in neutral. What do you think? Stripped forward gear? Clutch dog? I'm a complete newbie here so I'm a lump of clay in your hands...mold me! ;) Help!!! Thanks in advance, Doug

dougg33

Recruit
Thanks for the info, Bruce! Yeah, that's what I thought...And pretty close to what I was able to find for parts. Also will probably have the seals replaced, etc. while they're in there. I've been quoted $500-$600 for the labor. I found a used complete lower unit for sale. Any idea how I can be sure it will work for mine? It's for a V8, but I'm not sure of the year. Do you know what range of years had a lower unit that would work with the 1987? Being a newbie, how can I be sure that the unit I'm buying is not just as stripped as the one I have???
Thanks again.
Doug

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If it's a private deal, you won't. I'd get an estimate for the new seals, gearing, shift cable, etc. And whoever does the work, make sure they know how to do the adj. on the shift cable. That's imperative. If it was me & I wanted to keep the boat I'd look into a repower with the SEI drive. You're looking at about 2k, but they offer a lifetime warranty & its transferrable. Good luck.

dougg33

Recruit
Thanks, SeaWolf! I've got a 30 day money back guarantee to make sure the lower unit will work for me. I did some research and the lower units for the V8s were the same from 85-90, from what I can tell. I'm hoping to have this boat for a few more years and then upgrade, but I'm not sure I'm willing to do the $2k route...maybe. Thanks so much!
Doug

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, with a 1987 Bayliner, it's not worth sinking $2K into it. I had a 1987 Bayliner 2150 with a 5.0L that I sold to my neighbor for $2500 in 2002. It was worth a bit more than that. There would be no way I would have sunk $2k into that boat.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If it was me & I wanted to keep the boat I'd look into a repower with the SEI drive. You're looking at about 2k, but they offer a lifetime warranty & its transferrable. Good luck.
SEI builds an outstanding drive to replace the cobra using it's conversion kit. If you do it yourself, you can do it for approx $1500-1700.

Just to be clear, I don't think SEI has a "Lifetime Warranty" They have a GREAT warranty, but it's not lifetime....and it doesn't look "transferable" either.....
LIMITED WARRANTY OF STERNDRIVE ENGINEERING
Effective September 18, 2006
1. WARRANTY. All products sold by Sterndrive Engineering (“SEI”) are warranted for either a period of one (1) year or three (3) years from the date of actual purchase. A condition precedent to the enforcement of these warranties is proof of purchase of the SEI product. Satisfactory evidence of purchase must be supplied by customer prior to receiving warranty benefits hereunder. These one (1) year and three (3) year warranties against defects in material and workmanship are the sole and exclusive warranty provided by SEI and all other warranties and potential damages are limited and excluded hereunder, as set forth below. These warranties commence on the shipment date of products sold by SEI to purchaser or upon the date of purchase from a properly authorized SEI dealer to its customer...............................................///

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
SEI builds an outstanding drive to replace the cobra using it's conversion kit. If you do it yourself, you can do it for approx $1500-1700.

Just to be clear, I don't think SEI has a "Lifetime Warranty" They have a GREAT warranty, but it's not lifetime....and it doesn't look "transferable" either.....
Well, apparently SEI has changed it's warranty terms because I recall reading on their website that their warranty was lifetime & transferrable. Maybe someone who has done the conversion can clear up the confusion.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The gears/ratio is changed in the upper housing.
The lower for a v-8 v-6 is the same.The BB is a different unit so is the 3.0 2.3